• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Newly-Purchased Leer Camper: Junk?

CalifExplorer

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Website
www.wilmatthewsphoto.com
2016 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hi, six-time Tacoma owner, and nine of my ten trucks have been Toyota-- all but one or two with fiberglass camper shells.
Just bought a new Leer 100XR, and wow things have gone downhill for that brand. This is the third or fourth Leer product I've owned.
For sure the front removeable slider is going to be replaced because the frame is so badly distorted, both side windows leak at seal, and there's an irregularity in the bottom rail that meets the truck bed which lets in a ton of water (yes I know, camper shells are not watertight, but this is beyond the norm) and there's a gap in the fabric headliner, which doesn't seem to be attached all that well to begin with. Windows can be fixed, I don't care about the headliner, but if the shell is misshaped the whole thing is junk. Disappointed my local retailer didn't do a QC on the thing before or after install, but they're taking care of things so far.
Also, I understand Leer is now made south of the border, but in a facility that already makes camper shells and who knows what else from fiberglass, so I have to think they possess the expertise to do it correctly.
What are your experiences with Leer lately?

Last edited:
Back