• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New wheels/tires...beginner question

TomInPlymouth

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a 2017 DualCab as a tow vehicle. We will do some dry camping and regular park stuff...cross the country to see our kids etc. (Yes, retired) Would like to have the truck look better, get a nice AT tire and hit the road with a 3000lb Teardrop. All this is new, my car stuff was tracking a 99 porsche so I know I can screw things up with ignorance.

My truck has 16" stock rims and tires are lame. I'd like to get 17" rims. There are a lot of nice looking rims out there...but don't want to have anything rub or be too heavy or wear out hubs or whatever. There are some really nice 17" rims that are 8.5" and 9" wide and some of the ones I like have offsets that run from -25 to +12. So right off, I'm frozen.

Any help, experience, links to get smart or whatever would be appreciated. (This is a great truck--upgraded from an 04 Ford Ranger)
Tom

Why not stay with the 16" wheels, and get good tires for your rig? There are plenty of good All Terrain tires out there in the 265/75-16 range. Also, keep in mind the clearances for the tire size and wheel well rubbing issues: Plenty of posts, and You Tube out there for guidance as to what to avoid, suggestions, and tips.

Just my 2 cents....

First...I meant to post in beginner section. Thanks for your 2 cents. That's a good question...I guess I just like a bigger rim.

This may sound lame, but I did a bunch of forum searching and google searching for answers. It's tricky to even ask a question about the way things work (width, offset, wheel well size) when you're just getting started. I know what offset is, I know the suspension components, but what happens when towing and I hit stock spring bumpers (I've added sumosprings). So I guess I just asked here.

What I did just do when you mentioned how this info is available, is log onto TireRack and hit the chat button. They claim that any rim/tire combo that may cause issues is flagged when you hit the add to cart button. So I think that's all I need.

Anyway, I'd push this to the beginner section if I knew how to move a post.
Thanks again.
Tom

Hey Tom,

First thing’s first, don’t worry about wearing out your hubs. They’ll be fine, especially running offsets higher than -44.

I agree, 17’s look better and if done strategically, can save on unsprung weight over stock (wheels have more capability to weigh less than tires).

As far as rubbing goes, I’m running 2” spacers on OEM wheels and tires which is effectively like running a -18 offset wheel, with zero rubbing and tons of room to spare. That will translate exactly to your vehicles specs.

Theoretically I could run a -12 wheel on 17x9.5 wheels wrapped in 285/65/17 with the exact same clearance. So theoretically you could too. That will not add much height but will add meat to the tire for sure.

If it is wheel-well space you’re looking to fill, you could always run a skinny tire. Negative offset up to -18 can only help for clearance at that point.

Either way, I would not recommend going beyond -18 offset if you’re not willing to cut. I’m not totally sure you will need to, but I wouldn’t put money on it either.

72211A36-AEF8-42A8-9179-BB6D16D0054C.jpeg
6EBF83D9-ACF9-460F-B1F9-4F6880E0DACD.jpeg
059555C9-0510-40E5-B035-657ADAE016CB.jpeg

Level and zero rub. Rear air bags and tow a 1500 jeep trailer. 265/70-17 C rated but for you go E. Bilstein 5100 front and rear. Looking at Deaver for rear. Stock springs are soft.

I bought the same tires
How do you like them? I've had them in everything and I swear for a hybrid tire I love them but I dont do much rock climbing if I do any at all. Mostly trail and sand.

How do you like them? I've had them in everything and I swear for a hybrid tire I love them but I dont do much rock climbing if I do any at all. Mostly trail and sand.
they are sitting in the shop, I am waiting on front shocks for 9 plus weeks. I will let you know. I was going to go with a cooper tire, and my tire guy talked me into these, said it was a better tire

Yep LOVE Coops. I found tires for a Silverado are not for a Tacoma. Nitto Toyos are the best for me. BFG Coops for the fullsize👍🏾

As you see it (or if you've seen them), is the Bronze version of your Method wheels too Bright for a dark grey truck. I've had black wheels for ever and a day, and would like to try something else. They're really too much wheel for what I'm doing...the specs are really strong...but they are very nice.

As you see it (or if you've seen them), is the Bronze version of your Method wheels too Bright for a dark grey truck. I've had black wheels for ever and a day, and would like to try something else. They're really too much wheel for what I'm doing...the specs are really strong...but they are very nice.

I've been eyeballing the 4Runner Pro wheels for a while. I just might pull the trigger on these later this year. They are reasonably priced, come in black, gray, or bronze, and of course, already Toyota branded.

1610403090703.png

That's a good idea. I'm going to price that out myself. My initials, btw...though some say they're only missing a vowel...

That's a good idea. I'm going to price that out myself. My initials, btw...though some say they're only missing a vowel...

Check out online dealerships and parts wholesalers, they vary daily on who has free shipping and who is discounting. I've seen them go for less than $700 for a set, delivered.

I only replaced the wheels on mine because I had to go with a zero offset to accommodate the tires that I need it for what I was doing. If you're a pavement Princess yeah you can use the stock wheels and tires no big deal but those Goodyear kevlar are junk off road. It really depends upon what you're doing but I agree with you some people do you go back because all they're doing is driving A to B mostly on the highway.

Thanks for the help...here's what I ended up with.
Sparko DAKAR black 17x17.5 with 0 offset. $186 plus sensors. They make racing wheels and I know them through their association with OZ, whose wheels I've had on the track side of car ownership. They are not unlike @Tacosurf 's wheels for look which is where I started. They're not off-roading wheels...but I'll be dry camping and trailer towing so don't need that strong a wheel and bead. They're lighter than my stock 16x7's.
265/65R-17 COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 4S SL. The exact same overall diameter as my stock setup, but an inch wider, a lot more tread, and to my eye, a really nice looking tire. They really drive well as first impression and I've loved Coopers in the past on MG's years ago.
First photo is before, second is after.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 141
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 157
Back