• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Truck Questions

Yammaster

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I bought a new 2wd at and I need your help on a few things.
What does the ECT button do?
What is the plus and minus to left of D on auto shifter for?
Has anybody ever found a cheap way to acquire a spare key?
Appreciate any help.😎

I bought a new 2wd at and I need your help on a few things.
What does the ECT button do?
What is the plus and minus to left of D on auto shifter for?
Has anybody ever found a cheap way to acquire a spare key?
Appreciate any help.😎
From Toyota: ECT is an acronym for Electronically Controlled Transmission and the ECT PWR button is a function of the redesigned transmission. When pressed, the ECT PWR button will adjust shift points so you can reach higher RPM levels before shifting into the next gear. This innovative feature employs a system of hydraulics that operate clutches and bands within the transmission and are controlled by an electronic solenoid. When in operation, the ECT PWR feature will provide a greater degree of control over your speed and enhance control. Best used when you need an extra burst of power while towing, the ECT PWR button functions much like the 2016 Toyota Tundra Tow/Haul Mode. A few more driving situations where the ECT PWR will come in handy include merging with freeway traffic, passing vehicles on the highway or climbing steep grades. It is important to note that extended use of power mode will result in lower fuel-economy ratings.

As for the +/-, it is for S Mode, where you the user can shift the transmission like a Manual. The transmission will shift itself up if you rev it too high while in S Mode.

Last edited:
Back