• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New to Toyo world, need some advice before purchase!

steevo

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm an active LEO in NC looking to buy my first Toyota.
I've been a car guy my whole life and I've had 10 or so cars ranging from miata's to my current BMW 335i. I'm selling the BMW and looking to purchase a 3G Tacoma. My wife has an '03 2wd 4Runner and just purchased a 2019 Rav4 XLE and I'm convinced on the way of the Toyota (4Runner has 280k miles and is like an ox still.)

From the bit of research I've been able to do, I like the way the TRD Off-Road sounds and the options with it. I want a DCSB and I'm torn between choosing manual trans or auto trans. From what I've gathered the Off-Road's advantages, like the multi-terrain selector, aren't available on a M/T. My wife can't drive stick and is a chicken about learning so an A/T would be fine but I prefer M/T personally. I'm not very picky when it comes to creature comforts, however I would really like to have the radio that allows me to use my phone for music and shows the music on-screen and cruise control. Nothing else is too "must-have."

Can anyone provide some insight? My latest thinking is either Cavalry Blue or Concrete 6spd M/T DCSB 4x4 V6 SR5 but I am also still leaning heavily towards the Off-Road. Haven't been able to really find sure-fire differences in the packages and I don't want to go to the Toyota dealer and ask because I'll end up leaving with a truck and probably not the one I want lol.

But anyways, looking forward to my purchase and sharing on the forums. Excited to be here, thank you ahead of time for any input you guys can give!

Hi and welcome!! I think the 4x4 sr5 is a solid choice. I have a TRD OR and I think the only things you’ll be missing out on are the Crawl Control and Multi terrain select but if you’re set on a M/T you wouldn’t get that anyway with the off road. Other than that you get the bilstein shocks on the OR, but if you’re going to upgrade with a lift anyway then that will solve that issue. My truck came with the blind spot and parking sensors which should also be available in the sr5 as an option. Oh yes the OR comes with the rear locker which is not available on the sr5.

If the price difference between the two is substantial and you have a mod list as long as everyone else’s then the sr5 is a good choice. The TRD OR is inflated in price here in California so I ended up getting mine in Arizona to save $5k on the TRD. Hope this helps.

You’ll save about 6-8k buying an SR5 4x4 compared to an OR. At least I did where I live. I said the same thing when I went to buy one, just need power windows, cruise, and a decent radio. I bought mine for 6k less than the OR that was next to it on the lot. Ive had an arb locker installed in rear (total 2k) as well as putting a lift on it and tires. I am still a couple thousand dollars under what an OR would cost.

It’s still up to you but the SR5 4x4 is a great base to start and saves you money. I love mine and I would do it the same way again. I like working on my own stuff so I knew I would be upgrading it anyway.

Sweet, those are the exact things I wanted to hear.

I am planning on doing a lift with better shocks and whatnot. As far as the locker goes, is it worth the extra money to buy one aftermarket or could I survive without the locker? I do have a need for 4WD but it’s for light off-roading and trail riding, nothing too crazy.

Unfortunately the SR5 is about the same price as the OR where I am. I’m trying to look around to find one decently cheaper but it’s tough to find a Cavalry or Cement 6spd M/T SR5 just sitting on the lot lol! May have to order brand new when I’m ready to buy.

Welcome.

I'm pretty sure SR5 DC doesn't have a 6MT option. It's only available in Pro, Offroad and Sport.

Driving offroad in hills with a 6MT is more challenging but you will get used it. run 4LO and drop the clutch, don't feather it like you would in the street.

Welcome.

I'm pretty sure SR5 DC doesn't have a 6MT option. It's only available in Pro, Offroad and Sport.

Driving offroad in hills with a 6MT is more challenging but you will get used it. run 4LO and drop the clutch, don't feather it like you would in the street.
You're spot on, I just built one on Toyota's website. Shame the "base" model doesn't come with a M/T!! Unfortunately probably gonna have to settle with the A/T SR5 but we'll see!

I read a rumor about the 2020s having apple car play which would help the music from your phone situation. But the Bluetooth shows up anyways I think. And who knows if it actually will anyways lol you know rumors

Back