• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pre-Purchase Question New Tires

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
Looking at getting a new set of rims and tires and I cannot decide what to go with. I’ve read a few forums on here which has me leaning towards either General Grabbers ATX, Falken Wildpeak AT3, Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT, Toyo Open Country AT, Falken Runitrek AT, BFG KO2 AT. What does everyone think? Pros/Cons? Experience with any of these? What’s the BLUF fellas?

For rims…I also can’t decide lol. I like some of the Method, American Racing, Fuel, and a few others. Also need some advice on these.

Tires:
I've run BFF KO2's on multiple rigs, they are, in my experience, the hands down best all around tire.

But, due to long wait times and need for tires...
I'm running general grabber x3's at the moment and have been very pleased. Easy to balance, have 20k miles so far, and still plenty of tread left (I expect another 20k), not too noisy despite the mud tire characteristics, and boy are they good off road. Not bad in the snow (though not as good a ko2's). They look good, and thanks to Xoverland, they have a little more of a sophisticated overland curb appeal.

Tires:
I've run BFF KO2's on multiple rigs, they are, in my experience, the hands down best all around tire.

But, due to long wait times and need for tires...
I'm running general grabber x3's at the moment and have been very pleased. Easy to balance, have 20k miles so far, and still plenty of tread left (I expect another 20k), not too noisy despite the mud tire characteristics, and boy are they good off road. Not bad in the snow (though not as good a ko2's). They look good, and thanks to Xoverland, they have a little more of a sophisticated overland curb appeal.
The only thing I don’t like about the grabbers is the red and white lettering. I don’t know if they offer one without those options maybe?

I have an opposite opinion re: the K02's as Biohazard. IMO they're one of the most overhyped tires available and I find them to be one of the worst all around performers lol. They can do a little of everything but in my experience nothing very well. It also doesn't snow in Phoenix but my buddies that have run them in snow country (PA) say they are one of the worst performers they've used in snow and would not run them again. I only have one friend that has ever purchased them more than once, and it's only because they're what 'he's always ran' and can't be convinced that nearly every other tire is better than that ancient design by now. I never considered them when looking at tires for the taco. That said I've been very happy with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers so far, but what works for me might not fit your needs the best. AZ is much different than Ohio. There are a ton of options out there, find out what tires are in stock that you can get right now and then do some more research on the specs of each tire you're considering and see which tires really fit what you want out of the truck and offer the best design for your needs.

I'm also not a fan of any of the wheel brands you mentioned. Too mainstream and not incredible quality. Check out SCS or Summit for better wheels around that price point. If you want something a little nicer, can't go wrong with old school JDM 2-piece wheels.

I have an opposite opinion re: the K02's as Biohazard. IMO they're one of the most overhyped tires available and I find them to be one of the worst all around performers lol. They can do a little of everything but in my experience nothing very well. It also doesn't snow in Phoenix but my buddies that have run them in snow country (PA) say they are one of the worst performers they've used in snow and would not run them again. I only have one friend that has ever purchased them more than once, and it's only because they're what 'he's always ran' and can't be convinced that nearly every other tire is better than that ancient design by now. I never considered them when looking at tires for the taco. That said I've been very happy with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers so far, but what works for me might not fit your needs the best. AZ is much different than Ohio. There are a ton of options out there, find out what tires are in stock that you can get right now and then do some more research on the specs of each tire you're considering and see which tires really fit what you want out of the truck and offer the best design for your needs.

I'm also not a fan of any of the wheel brands you mentioned. Too mainstream and not incredible quality. Check out SCS or Summit for better wheels around that price point. If you want something a little nicer, can't go wrong with old school JDM 2-piece wheels.
Hey, different experiences make for some collective wisdom. But here's what I've run KO2's on:
-1997 Jeep Cherokee, lifted, winched, wheeled (1st gen BFG AT)
-2008 4 Runner: ran nitto ridge grapplers and couldn't keep them balanced to save my life. Moderately good in most situations.
-2009 Lexus GX470: on my wife's vehicle. Quiet, capable, driven in upstate NY, up and down the east coast on sand, dirt, moderate trails.
-2016 Tacoma: drove in the snow, ice, mud, sand, and of course highway and regular roads. 7-8/10 performance in all those situations.
-2018 Jeep JLUR. Same driving experiences as the 2016 taco, same opinion. Favorite tire by far.

And I spent 15 years in the used car business driving everything. The KO2 is tough, capable, and now in its 3rd generation it's better than the previous 2, which were pretty good.

Hey, different experiences make for some collective wisdom. But here's what I've run KO2's on:
-1997 Jeep Cherokee, lifted, winched, wheeled (1st gen BFG AT)
-2008 4 Runner: ran nitto ridge grapplers and couldn't keep them balanced to save my life. Moderately good in most situations.
-2009 Lexus GX470: on my wife's vehicle. Quiet, capable, driven in upstate NY, up and down the east coast on sand, dirt, moderate trails.
-2016 Tacoma: drove in the snow, ice, mud, sand, and of course highway and regular roads. 7-8/10 performance in all those situations.
-2018 Jeep JLUR. Same driving experiences as the 2016 taco, same opinion. Favorite tire by far.

And I spent 15 years in the used car business driving everything. The KO2 is tough, capable, and now in its 3rd generation it's better than the previous 2, which were pretty good.
From what I've seen, reviews on the K02's are pretty divided. You either really like them or you really dislike them lol. I'm not a fan but if you feel confident with a set of tires then by all means keep using them.

I have seen the reviews about the NRG's being tough to balance but IIRC Nitto changed their layering to make that less of an issue. Mine balanced just fine on my TE's without too much added weight, hopefully they stay that way. Read the same about many different tires though. Could have just been a bad batch also. I'm a Hankook fanboy at heart but they didn't make anything that fit what I was looking for in a C-Load when I purchased these about a year ago.

Beauty And The Beast Disney GIF
From what I've seen, reviews on the K02's are pretty divided. You either really like them or you really dislike them lol. I'm not a fan but if you feel confident with a set of tires then by all means keep using them.

I have seen the reviews about the NRG's being tough to balance but IIRC Nitto changed their layering to make that less of an issue. Mine balanced just fine on my TE's without too much added weight, hopefully they stay that way. Read the same about many different tires though. Could have just been a bad batch also. I'm a Hankook fanboy at heart but they didn't make anything that fit what I was looking for in a C-Load when I purchased these about a year ago.
I think we need to start accusing each other of making up for the lack of chest hair or something, just to add a little TW vibe

Back