• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance new Taco oil change questions

JCC

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
have seen on the forums about changing oil every 5k miles though Toyota only covers oil changes every 10k miles

also, JUST noticed a recommendation of first oil change being at 1k miles which I missed by over 4k miles

wanted to get some background on the recommendations I am seeing on the forum and am looking at getting my first oil/filter change at or around 5k miles where I am currently

My dealer recommended my first change at 10k and the manual says every 10k with 0w20. I did my first at 1900 though. I usually do an oil change in my cars based on when idle starts to get chattery instead of stealthy smooth (which is usually around 5k for my climate).

Upvote 0
That's a lie or they're just being stupid. Toyota oil changes that are included can be used anytime. Even if they are labeled by mileage, it can be processed at any mileage. Mine were recorded early. I hate driving so I don't hit time before mileage.
Generally 10k or 1 year. Whichever comes first.

Service light turns on every 5k.

Every 5k is for tire rotation.
Every 10k is for oil change.

I took mine in for the included oil changes at 1k, 5k, 10k. Now I just do it every 10k.

Upvote 0
10K is probably fine. I do 5k because I'm old school.

Upvote 0
i did one at 1k, and the next at 6k, but after the initial break-in i'll usually go 10k between, unless the oil starts looking discolored before that.
the oil always looked like new in my FJ at 10k intervals, in my turbo cars it's pretty black by 5k.

Upvote 0
thanks all!

for some reason, I was expecting them to change the oil when bringing it in for the "included" maintenance and then the service advisor told me 10k miles instead

definitely want the truck to last as long as possible

Upvote 0
If you like premature engine wear do 10k OCI’s. Toyota is trying to make maintenance cost appear as low as possible at the sacrifice of longevity. 5k OCI’s is better for the engine especially if you do a lot of short trips / traffic and is recommended in the manual. Ask a Toyota technician and they will say the same thing. Service advisors are service salesman and often have no clue.

Upvote 0
1st change is recommended at 1000 to get the break in loose material out.
Every 5000 thereafter.

I did 1000 then at 5000 (4000 actual) to keep the odometer as a reminder.
Every 5K on the dial it gets changed,.... 5K-10K-15K-20K ect.......... no need to write the mileage down.

Upvote 0
If you like premature engine wear do 10k OCI’s. Toyota is trying to make maintenance cost appear as low as possible at the sacrifice of longevity. 5k OCI’s is better for the engine especially if you do a lot of short trips / traffic and is recommended in the manual. Ask a Toyota technician and they will say the same thing. Service advisors are service salesman and often have no clue.
I see what you're saying and it makes logical sense. But I believe oil has come a long way.
Yes, I do believe it could be beneficial to change oil at lower intervals if you did some strenuous driving.
Other than that for general daily use, 10k / 1 year is fine.

You're saying that Toyota is trying to make maintenance cost appear lower. That's 1 oil change a year.
Compared to the cost of the vehicle that's very insignificant.

Technicians will say 5k because they get paid by job.
Blackstone results have shown that 10k intervals are completely healthy.

Also, I haven't seen anyone say anything bad happened because of 10k intervals. Haven't seen anyone prove 5k intervals are any better.

10 18 Tacoma oil test copy.jpg
blackstone-labs-oil-analysis-for-my-18-trd-sport-4x4-10k-v0-sb9lchifsw1a1.jpg

Upvote 0
I see what you're saying and it makes logical sense. But I believe oil has come a long way.
Yes, I do believe it could be beneficial to change oil at lower intervals if you did some strenuous driving.

You're saying that Toyota is trying to make maintenance cost appear lower. That's 1 oil change a year.

Also, I haven't seen anyone say anything bad happened because of 10k intervals. Haven't seen anyone prove 5k intervals are any better.

UOA’s don’t show what’s going on inside the engine with carbon and sludge. I personally use an oil extraction pump. 10k filter 5k oil. Oil is cheap, your engine is not.

Upvote 0
Also people, if you live in a city with traffic or you drive a lot of short distances, you DON’T meet the requirements for 10k OCI’s.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.png
    IMG_1112.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

Technicians make the same amount of money no matter what mileage you change the oil. They are not commission based.

Upvote 0
Because I like being anal, I change all fluids at 5K and then when the manufacturer suggests let them do it simply because it is free to me.

Upvote 0
Technicians make the same amount of money no matter what mileage you change the oil. They are not commission based.
paid by job.

Also people, if you live in a city with traffic or you drive a lot of short distances, you DON’T meet the requirements for 10k OCI’s.

That comes down to interpretation.

1701036505682.png

I drive a lot of short distances.
5 miles drive to work.
5 miles drive back home.
Maybe an additional hour of driving a couple times a month.

I would meet the criteria for 10k/12.

If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.

They use police, taxi and door to door as examples.
Sometimes those vehicles are required to run all day. Consider the time they just idle compared to a city with traffic.

Vehicle A: A police vehicle could sit and idle for 2 hours. This vehicle will probably remain on during the shift.
Vehicle B: A vehicle in traffic that stop and go in that same 2 hour period. This vehicle will be parked and shut off.
Vehicle C: A vehicle that drives 20 minutes a day.
Vehicle D: A vehicle that drives 20 minutes a day in temperatures below 32.
Vehicle E: A vehicle used for off-roading, dirt roads, trailering.

Recommended intervals:
A: 5k/6 months
B: 10k/12 months
C: 10k/12 months
D: 5k/6 months
E: 5k/6 months

They are not the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 1st oil change was done at 350
2nd at 1500
3rd at 5k

I have continued with a 5k change interval and I’m happy with it. Tire rotations at 2500

Upvote 0
Back