• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New suspension

Johnnytwotimes

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my vehicle's suspension by installing 5100s all around and adding a 1" rear block. Initially, I only lifted the front by 1" and left the rear at its stock height. The ride quality improved significantly and the shocks didn't feel too stiff or harsh on the road. However, I later decided to maintain some rake by adding a 1" block to the rear and raising the front by 1.5". Since then, the ride has become stiffer and slightly jarring on the road. I haven't had an alignment yet, but I plan to do it tomorrow. While I suspect the blocks are to blame, I'm wondering if there could be other factors at play as well.

The blocks themselves don't change the ride quality, they just space the rear end up (so long as they were installed correctly). The 5100's should generally be fine with a 1" rear lift unless they're very short for some reason and maxing out too soon. If they're factory length or a little longer they should not have any problems.

However, the front is very sensitive to downtravel, and lifting it effects the amount of available down travel. 1.5" total should be fine there too, but if you lifted the front an additional 1" from your initial 1.5" lift (to now be at 2.5" total), you're not going to have a good time. If you're only using the circlips to adjust the front, I'd back it down 1 clip on each side and see how the ride changes. It looks like the 5100's ride the best with a the 3/4 or 4/5 setup when using factory springs.

Upvote 0
The blocks themselves don't change the ride quality, they just space the rear end up (so long as they were installed correctly). The 5100's should generally be fine with a 1" rear lift unless they're very short for some reason and maxing out too soon. If they're factory length or a little longer they should not have any problems.

However, the front is very sensitive to downtravel, and lifting it effects the amount of available down travel. 1.5" total should be fine there too, but if you lifted the front an additional 1" from your initial 1.5" lift (to now be at 2.5" total), you're not going to have a good time. If you're only using the circlips to adjust the front, I'd back it down 1 clip on each side and see how the ride changes. It looks like the 5100's ride the best with a the 3/4 or 4/5 setup when using factory springs.
I see so different cir-clip settings to compensate for taco lean?. The fronts are set to the 4th notch both sides using the factory springs. When I bumped it up to 1.5, Surprisingly, the vehicle rode just as well after the change, at least during a short drive around the block.I’ll check u bolts and rear block if installed correctly. Running SL rated tires 265/75/16 32 psi.

Upvote 0
Usually 1 clip higher on the driver side allows the front end to sit more level on the 3g's with the Bilsteins. I have a little extra preload on the driver side to compensate for the lean as well with my ADS's.

If you're only at 4 on both sides already, I would expect the truck to ride okay. Was expecting you to be at 5 or 6 on both sides with the OP. PSI sounds fine for those. And aligning the truck won't change the ride quality itself a noticeable amount, just help it track straighter and maximize tire life.

The block should have the same contact patch as the stock perch on the axle, so adding one should not affect ride quality as the spring doesn't know anything has changed. The only issue would be if the shocks were maxing out too soon.

Upvote 0
Do they offset the 5100's now? Always saw it was same settings + .25 - .5" spacer.

Maybe it's just compressing the factory coils making it a stiffer ride. I mainly want to blame the rear blocks. Only because I'm biased.

Have you consider grabbing new coils? I had 887's and they seemed nice all around with an AAL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I recently upgraded my vehicle's suspension by installing 5100s all around and adding a 1" rear block. Initially, I only lifted the front by 1" and left the rear at its stock height. The ride quality improved significantly and the shocks didn't feel too stiff or harsh on the road. However, I later decided to maintain some rake by adding a 1" block to the rear and raising the front by 1.5". Since then, the ride has become stiffer and slightly jarring on the road. I haven't had an alignment yet, but I plan to do it tomorrow. While I suspect the blocks are to blame, I'm wondering if there could be other factors at play as well.
Like these,... 5th position is for "Long bed 4WD" as per this installer
Source: https://youtu.be/qj1ab-FlkqY

Upvote 0
Like these,... 5th position is for "Long bed 4WD" as per this installer
Source: https://youtu.be/qj1ab-FlkqY

I want to say that's his own opinion or his knowledge is outdated.
Sort of doesn't make sense if it's a weight thing. From the most updated instructions Bilstein states 5th clip isn't recommended for Access Cabs and 4x2 Double Cabs with extended bed.

The highest clip would add more tension to the front. So by recommendation it should be heavier than lighter. Access Cabs lighter towards the front since the material is removed around the center, 4cyl being a lighter motor and 4x2 long bed being enough weight off the front and adding just enough to the rear to throw it off balance.

Ultimately I want to say the factory spring is just reaching a limit. It's ok with a little additional compression. But not compressed that much all the time. So it's just a lot more outward pressure.

1682805745226.png

Upvote 0
Do they offset the 5100's now? Always saw it was same settings + .25 - .5" spacer.

Maybe it's just compressing the factory coils making it a stiffer ride. I mainly want to blame the rear blocks. Only because I'm biased.

Have you consider grabbing new coils? I had 887's and they seemed nice all around with an AAL.
I just wanted to keep the OEM coils since I planned on only lifting 1.5” also don’t have any extra weight up front. The ride has gotten a bit better. I do believe it’s settled now which made the ride better. Initially when I installed the fronts gave me 2” of lift, im finally at desired ride height at 1.5”

Upvote 0
Just generally saying it would be a better ride with OME springs. The 885's are 1.5" - 1.75" depending on the 5100's. Then they settle a little. They're designed to run on the bottom notch.

Factory springs were never designed to maintain that load. So when compressed it's not that the spring rate of the actual spring is changed, but the rate it compresses would make it feel stiff and the rebound of it bouncing back will be more violent. So It would almost feel like a higher rate spring.
With OME's on the low setting, they have the proper room and space to function the way they were designed to. Ultimately giving a smoother and more comfortable ride. Just something to think about. It's the same lift height but much better ride quality. If you've settled on the 5100's, getting the OME's is 100% worth it.

1682808869068.png

Upvote 0
Ok that’s something I’ll consider in the near future or eventually just get rid of the 5100s. This is my first time doing a lift, I didn’t care much for the look of lifted vs non lifted but at 30k miles the stock shocks started to feel too marshmallowy so decided to get 5100s because of research and budget and since it’s ride height adjustable I thought why not lift it had no desire to go past 1.5” lifted it to 1” first and it felt great but decided to go 1.”5 a week later and sure does make noticeable difference but with ride quality I’m surprised it made a stiffer ride compared to 1” so I’m conflicted deciding to go back down to 1” after a few weeks or just replace the block with a 3AAL. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Back