• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Owner (Opinion) order of operations building a more capable stout truck for travel and boondock camping

919MGMGrand

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know this is a pretty subjective but what do you all say in order of importance in building a more capable 2019 TRD offroad for camping and off highway travel. (I like speed) Things on the list: ARB full Bull Bar, Rock sliders, OME,FOX,King,Suspension, I am a kayaker so I need a roof rack for my boats, i'd like a Winch, aux lights, benifits of a soft top with rack + rooftop tent or a Hard top with rooftop tent, popup canopy tent (like alucab or GFC). raised diff breathers etc. To make it a bit easier where do I begin. I have $3,000.

If you plan to add that stuff mentioned above, personally I’d start with suspension. Gonna need it to handle the weight and speed you throw at it.

Then you start loading it down and with fox/ king etc you can tune the suspension to your liking, instead of loading down the factory suspension.

Last edited:
Suspension and tires would be my suggestions

I'd definitely add armor. And if you say you like speed you'll need to upgrade the suspension like @tacomadadmentioned. Itll need to be high quality. The bumper and front coilovers are going to put you at or just over the $3k mark. I'd say focus on suspension and protection first and add from there.

If you plan to add that stuff mentioned above, personally I’d start with suspension. Gonna need it to handle the weight and speed you throw at it.

Then you start loading it down and with fox/ king etc you can tune the suspension to your liking, instead of loading down the factory suspension.
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering the same.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to focus on suspension (bumper+winch weight). Ill keep you all posted.
From talking with a few people I'm hearing that with suspension and tires you'll be good to go with the OEM gears but once you add bumpers you're better off if you change the gears to 4.88's or 5.29's unless you go with more expensive aluminum bumpers. I'm a newbie so take this with a grain of salt.

Back