• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Member Trail Edition Ordered

terratrooper

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. I currently have a 2015 4Runner SR5 Premium which I bought new back then. I'm at 150k miles now and want a little truck that I can offroad. I do not offroad the 4Runner, I use my Honda Talon for that and tow it to SD and CO with the 4Runner. I'm keeping that setup but wanted a truck that I could drive from PA to western states to do some semi serious offroading without hauling the Talon. I placed a deposit on a 2022 Tacoma Trail Special Edition this week. I hope I like it as much as my 4Runner! I've joined this forum because you guys seem very helpful and pretty chill, unlike some of the other forums. Cheers!

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Thanks. It probably won't be much of a build though. I'd like a lightweight aluminum winch bumper and a Warn synthetic rope winch, sliders, and maybe an aluminum rear bumper too. I live in PA where the road salt is hard on steel. So far I haven't had any steel aftermarket accessories that made it a year before the powder coat was bubbling and cracking off. I'm even fairly diligent about power washing the salt off. The frame will get Fluid Filmed right away.

Wish the trail edition came with a taller tire? Trail edition comes with a1.1 inch lift front & 1/2 lift rear…nothing changes the ground clearance…. A taller tire like a 32-33 would have done the same lift?

Those storage containers in the rear bed…maybe a good idea? But sure looks like it’s takes up a lot of room.. if you look at the space between fenders and composite bed…putting storage boxes (more) front and rear? And maybe come out just a feet? Or made the storage Equal to fender wells inside…May be work better?

I did this to my Ford Ranger…and will do the same for my Tacoma … built a storage box same height as fender wells, box seats between the fender wells..and the area outside of the box ..becomes a extra storage box…also I lift the box 11/4 inch high…to place my tent poles, made with conduit 1inch pipes…to slide underneath the box…I am able to make a 10x20 canopy tent, 20x20, ..same styles you see at swap meets…and I can make tarp walls too.. manly beach/ fishing camping…Hawaii ..

Wish the trail edition came with a taller tire? Trail edition comes with a1.1 inch lift front & 1/2 lift rear…nothing changes the ground clearance…. A taller tire like a 32-33 would have done the same lift?

Those storage containers in the rear bed…maybe a good idea? But sure looks like it’s takes up a lot of room.. if you look at the space between fenders and composite bed…putting storage boxes (more) front and rear? And maybe come out just a feet? Or made the storage Equal to fender wells inside…May be work better?

I did this to my Ford Ranger…and will do the same for my Tacoma … built a storage box same height as fender wells, box seats between the fender wells..and the area outside of the box ..becomes a extra storage box…also I lift the box 11/4 inch high…to place my tent poles, made with conduit 1inch pipes…to slide underneath the box…I am able to make a 10x20 canopy tent, 20x20, ..same styles you see at swap meets…and I can make tarp walls too.. manly beach/ fishing camping…Hawaii ..
Yeah a taller tire would be nice but I already hear enough guys complaining that these trucks need regeared. I hope to avoid regearing if possible. The Trail Edition bed storage is definitely small and awkward looking in the pics and videos I've seen. Plus I'm only 5'8" short so I might not be able to reach them without a step ladder. These storage boxes/cooler aren't a reason I bought the truck. This being said, I hope they are somewhat functional, the passenger side box looks large enough for some recovery straps, an ultralight trout rod, and snatch blocks maybe? I would consider the cooler useful if it could hold 6 cold drinks, 2 mediums sized trout, and a brick of smoked cheese. It also looks like the way they open would be impeded by storage boxes the height of the fender wells like you mentioned. If the boxes prove difficult to use or too small to be useful, I will remove them and go another route. I really bought the truck because it has a rear locker, I prefer cloth seats and like the looks of these better than on the other trim levels, I like the stance, and I really like the wheels and grill. I may hit you up at some point for tent wall fabrication!

Yeah, one thing leads to another. Especially when you really get wheeling. I learned that the hard way with my SXS. I will definitely post some pics when I get the truck. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I said the same thing at one point. Congrats on the truck! Definitely post some pictures when you get it.

Thanks TCOTUE! The salesman, who I've dealt with before and like well enough, claims they can't special order from Toyota anymore. He said they are allotted vehicles and you can pick from that allotment. Is he blowing smoke? Anyhow, I wanted one with no options at all. They only had one with a tonneau cover and blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert. Each are $600 options I don't want. I asked to remove them but he said he couldn't. The paint will be Army Green.

Last edited:
Thanks TCOTUE! The salesman, who I've dealt with before and like well enough, claims they can't special order from Toyota anymore. He said they are allotted vehicles and you can pick from that allotment. Is he blowing smoke? Anyhow, I wanted one with no options at all. They only had one with a tonneau cover and blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert. Each are $600 options I don't want. I asked to remove them but he said he couldn't. The paint will be Army Green.
That seems to be the normal thing. I bought used, so I can't confirm that statement. You could always sell the OEM Tonneau once the truck arrives. I do like the Army Green color!

That is a sick SXS.
Thank you, it is pretty sick I must admit. It's crazy how well those thing go in very very nasty terrain. I've actually never used the winch for myself. I have used it and the buggy to pull out an F150 and an older built Jeep Cherokee. I have over 14" of ground clearance and that clearance pretty much goes from wheel to wheel with the high clearance A arms and radius rods and 33s. I'd like to go to 35s but I'll need to regear and buy forward offset A arms. For now I'm content with it, kinda.

I might believe the blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert but the tonneau cover? I'm fairly certain that gets added at the dealership. I'd call shenanigans, but then it's pretty hard to get a Taco (or any vehicle) right now so maybe they know they can put on any add-ons they want.

Back