• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New 2020 Off-Road Cement in Alberta Canada

NinjaxBart

5️⃣ Platinum
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Another ex-Subaru fan converted into a Tacoma fan here 😁 I had been building my WRX over the recent years and documenting things over on my YouTube Channel. Then a few friends invited me on some off-road adventures in our mountains, and I loved it. Suddenly I landed a photo opportunity shooting for Toyota Canada the following for the Tacoma, and next thing ya know I've bought my own Cement Off-Road and sold the Subaru in 3 days!

Most of these shots were within the first week of owning it, and then with this pandemic, we haven't been able to go out anywhere sadly.

DSC00466 by SHPIXX, on Flickr

DSC09561 by SHPIXX, on Flickr

This was literally the day after picking it up, we did a long trip into BC to a cabin for a few nights there.

DSC09305 by SHPIXX, on Flickr

And here's my old WRX for anyone wondering haha! (I also previously had a 2013 STI, and a 1995 STI RHD I had imported from Japan in Highschool.)

DSC06171-2 by SHPIXX, on Flickr

The day I picked 'er up!
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsgMpPeUi5k

and here are my new wheels, SCS BR6 16x8 I have to wait another week before I can get them installed but really excited for that!
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBVt2DZ--bI

Sometimes I miss the fast car but the Tacoma is fun on the trails, I need to get to Canada though looks so nice up there. The only thing I know about is the swisha loop

Ooo just like that I’m sold on the sticker when I order my br6’s as well

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Sometimes I miss the fast car but the Tacoma is fun on the trails, I need to get to Canada though looks so nice up there. The only thing I know about is the swisha loop

I haven't heard of Swisha Loop actually but Google says it's over in Quebec so far from me but we have our Rocky Mountains / Banff/ Kananskis etc. (lots of specific designated trails or so I'm learning slowly about!)

Ooo just like that I’m sold on the sticker when I order my br6’s as well

Yea!! I really like how it looks!

Welcome! Def makes me miss my sti!

I miss it only sometimes haha

Forgot to mention.. I may have sold the WRX but I didn't sell the Yamaha ;) hahaha

Untitled by SHPIXX, on Flickr

So no mudflaps for 1 month now and I don't have any chips or dings around the lower fender area. I think the fenders themselves actually do most of the work, because I do have significant amount of chips on the plastic black fenders, even with the mudflaps though, so I think most rocks are hitting up in that spot.

With that said, the plan is to put the mudflaps back on soon once I get a chance to dremel them down and find a way to make them fit better without rubbing. My dremel crapped out 2 weeks ago so I'm kinda waiting for a decent sale to buy a new one.

Upgraded the reverse lights to some Prolightz PL1 T15 bulbs, I really like these ones...

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeU_5dh_tUo

DSC02845-2 by Spencer, on Flickr

Some recent shots...

Untitled by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC02592 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC02735 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC02789 by Spencer, on Flickr

I also got a new dashcam unit sent to me in the mail, this time from a new company to me called Vantrue, they sent me out their N4 Model to do some reviews / marketing photos for them. It's a 3 channel dashcam which is really cool, geared more towards uber / taxi's to record inside the vehicle. The unit itself is pretty cool though with one of the widest FOV's I've seen on a dashcam, 1440p, and 1080 interior + 1080 rear. I'll have some example footage in a week or so of this!

DSC02754 by Spencer, on Flickr

Hey another previous subie owner! I didn't have the heart to get rid of my subie.... yet :love:

I used to auto cross my 2012 STi

IMG_4664.jpg
259C0BED-87DC-4242-9DC2-A61C071ACE0C.jpg
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4772.jpg

I also got a new dashcam unit sent to me in the mail, this time from a new company to me called Vantrue, they sent me out their N4 Model to do some reviews / marketing photos for them. It's a 3 channel dashcam which is really cool, geared more towards uber / taxi's to record inside the vehicle. The unit itself is pretty cool though with one of the widest FOV's I've seen on a dashcam, 1440p, and 1080 interior + 1080 rear. I'll have some example footage in a week or so of this!

Did you ever get any example footage? How are you liking that dashcam model? I've been thinking about getting one, there's so many though I've been kind of paralyzed by choice. What do you like about that one, or maybe don't like about it?

Doing some testing work of the new DR900 X - Series Dashcam from Blackvue. Still the same ol' front 4K CMOS Sensor from Blackvue...

1. Added new LTE Module / SIM Card ability to access and view Dashcam live / playback / gps tracking anywhere.
2. The real 'big' news is the new X Series dashcams do NOT require a power magic pro. It's not completely built into the unit, with voltage monitoring settings accessible via the phone app.

DSC04711 by Spencer, on Flickr

Probably won't keep this unit as it's not worthwhile to rewire it all with my B124X battery for no real added features that I'd get use out of.

Full install and example footage video coming soon.

DSC04732 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC04717 by Spencer, on Flickr

Doing some testing work of the new DR900 X - Series Dashcam from Blackvue. Still the same ol' front 4K CMOS Sensor from Blackvue...

1. Added new LTE Module / SIM Card ability to access and view Dashcam live / playback / gps tracking anywhere.
2. The real 'big' news is the new X Series dashcams do NOT require a power magic pro. It's not completely built into the unit, with voltage monitoring settings accessible via the phone app.

DSC04711 by Spencer, on Flickr

Probably won't keep this unit as it's not worthwhile to rewire it all with my B124X battery for no real added features that I'd get use out of.

Full install and example footage video coming soon.

DSC04732 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC04717 by Spencer, on Flickr

Send it to me when you're done 😁👍

It has been a while since I've updated the build thread! :eek:

The Tacoma has come a fair ways since my last post, and it's finally some really nice weather here! We've been out camping the past 5 weekends in a row, which has been awesome.

We also installed our Roof top tent setup. This is called the 'Tamarack Adventure Series', 2 - 3 Person, 4 Season RTT! It's very spacious inside and surprisingly comfortable. Slept really good!

Some shots from the first back-country trip:

DSC07236 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC07245 by Spencer, on Flickr

DJI_0036 by Spencer, on Flickr

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghoHBR1gvVE&t=

Also camping in the Alberta Badlands, which was probably one of my favourite places so far because of the hiking in the area. This is such a drastic contrast to our Rocky Mountains here in Canada, this is total desert with the hoodoo rock formations. Apparently here there are scorpions, rattle snakes, and black widow spiders (you'll find some warning signs in the areas.)

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwAmb1iZEk&t=

DSC07622 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC07780 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC07758 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC07570 by Spencer, on Flickr

Then we went on a fishing trip that was really fun. First time out fishing this year (we fished only about a dozen times last Summer) so really looking forward to going fishing more.

DSC07805 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC08031 by Spencer, on Flickr

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxbio1dG9qs

Strung up some lights, ran them off the Tacoma battery... but have a portable generator coming..

DSC08000 by Spencer, on Flickr

We also took our Italian greyhound camping. IG's have practically no fur, just fine hair and very thing skin! So she had to be extra bundled up to keep warm but she did great and really loved it.

DSC08101 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC08093 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC08154 by Spencer, on Flickr

Hey guys, an update on the Tacoma - still absolutely loving it. Winter is finally upon us here. First time out wheeling in the snow for this season was a blast, a few icy sections left me wanting and wishing I had better performing tires. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to some 285's very soon, and I'm considering the Yokohama Geolander AT's. The Grabber's still did pretty awesome though all things considered.

DSC01287 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC01377 by Spencer, on Flickr

A short video from the day w/ some nice Drone shots! (Mavic Mini, flown legally within Public Land use areas)
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozwN1KlpZmw&t

DSC01393 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC01386 by Spencer, on Flickr

I also made a video just before the snow hit out in the trails comparison the differences between my lighting setup. It shows some GoPro footage of the SS3's on (Fogs), and the SS3 (Ditch), the 30" Light Bar, and the Morimoto XB (Headlights). I cycle thru the different combinations if you'd like to check out a comparison:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F4UeskaJDQ&t

DSC01118 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC01133 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC01225 by Spencer, on Flickr

SSC2 Ditch Lights ( Chase / Rear ) w/ Amber Lens:

DSC01063 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC01079 by Spencer, on Flickr

A few more photos that I liked (some from end of Summer couple months back):

DSC00716 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC00737 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC00307 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC00338 by Spencer, on Flickr

DSC00271 by Spencer, on Flickr

and one from our last camping trip we had:
DSC00085 by Spencer, on Flickr

~ Cheers guys (and thanks for checking out my thread!)
Spencer

Spencer,
Outstanding shots. Love the casual, not to "loud" processing of your photos. Definitely avoids the eye candy fatigue. And what great adventures! Keep them coming.

Hey friends! It's been a while since I've updated much here, although past 6 months of Winter have been fairly lowkey and quiet, guess I'm more a fair-weather camper haha, I had ambitions all Winter to try camping once but there just wasn't any good opportunity where it wasn't -20*C / and snowing, or if it was a good weekend I ended up having work :(

Have my first camping trip booked this weekend though, I'm really excited. Picked up a few new small pieces of gear over the recent months to try out, and a really nice new Tarp to try out. Here's some shots from the past few months / and updates..

Running the Viair 300p + Morrflate, airing down even in the winter cold -20*C's
DSC01507 by Spencer, on Flickr

Mavic mini drone shot
DJI_0067 by Spencer, on Flickr

Fresh tracks in the snow
DSC01469 by Spencer, on Flickr

More winter exploring trips, with some friends this time all the way to the end of Ghost, past the falls,
DSC01683 by Spencer, on Flickr

The Diode Dynamic SSC2's mounted upside down, made a custom bracket and extended the wiring harnesses to install underneath my bed-rack.
DSC01653 by Spencer, on Flickr

Then I landed a partnership with General Tire for 2022 which I am extremely fortunate to have. Having opportunities to shoot commercial photography work for companies is probably the biggest reward from the thousands of hours I put into my videos and photo work, my website, and blog, etc. My ambitions were very high for 2022, although I've been hit with alot of road-blocks along the way so far this year, I am eager to overcome and continue my passion for creating this Summer. The upgrade went from a 265/75/16 tire (30.8") to 285/75/15 (33") tire.
C0001 by Spencer, on Flickr

IYKYK, in order to fit the 33" tires nicely, without rubbing on the cab badly (aka. un-drive-able), you will want to upgrade the upper control arms. I didn't initially do the UCA's when I did my Dobinson MRRs, and I'm running a somewhat conservative 2" lift on my Tacoma (as opposed to the 3" you could run with the MRRs) but going to the bigger 33" tire meant it was finally time to upgrade the UCA's.

Lifting your truck affects your overall caster and camber on your truck. While most aftermarket UCAs help to obtain better caster and camber, SPC's arms have +2 degrees of caster built right into them allowing for a range of 0 degrees all the way up to over +4 degrees of caster and over +2 degrees of camber.

DSC02013 by Spencer, on Flickr

New fresh tires always looks so good, mmm.. Mounted on my SCS BR6's, 16x8 -12 offset (that offset is a little unique than most actually, it does result in more potential rubbing because of that, mostly on the front bumper part.)
DSC02040 by Spencer, on Flickr

Sitting on the 285's in the shop.
DSC02051 by Spencer, on Flickr

Where it would rub.
DSC02056 by Spencer, on Flickr

Also a full-size 285 spare; I didn't hammer the metal with a mallet although I want to now researching more about that. Instead I opted to air-down the tire all the way actually, so, in the event I ever need to use my spare, I would just need to use my on board viair 300p to inflate beforehand. Not a big deal though.
DSC02042 by Spencer, on Flickr

Sitting nicely on the 285's
DSC02078 by Spencer, on Flickr

That's about it for the update! Excited to get out for my first camping trip coming up!

Last edited:
Back