• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

More power

Pinion

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2023 Sport DCLB Auto
Silver Sky
Ok, I really miss the 4.0
I have done the 4.88 gears, still feel like it’s a bit of a slug.
Are there any options for getting more power out of theses motors, or modifications for shift points
Thanks in advance

OV tune is releasing forced injection soon.

Yeah. Twin turbos or s/c when ovtune drops them

Aside from OVTune on the ecu, their upcoming forced induction kits are the only offering even close to production. Magnuson doesn't seem to be interested in the game any more. TRD was a Magnuson build, so that's out. Not sure about URD, but I think everyone's real big hang up is the tuning. OVTune is the only one to have figured that out.

I have OVTune and it's definitely a huge improvement over stock. I don't have gears yet, but in conjunction with the time they may be the ticket you're after. Here's got a long lost of things he's working on, but 4.88 and 5.29 specific tunes is on it.

Cool. The 4.88 are improvement for sure but still a dog.
Missing the 4.0. Heading to Rausch Creek in a couple weeks, hope I’m a bit happier there.

Last edited:
I don't know how the automatic transmission is, but, with my MT i don't have any power unless i am in 1st gear. I didn't buy my Tacoma for power, but it's annoying that I have to find a dry spot, or a safe spot, and downshift to 1st gear before I go through mud, snow, or climb a hill. The engine is very responsive when I put the Tacoma into 4 low. Would the OV Tune get me more power in at least 2nd gear?

I don't know how the automatic transmission is, but, with my MT i don't have any power unless i am in 1st gear. I didn't buy my Tacoma for power, but it's annoying that I have to find a dry spot, or a safe spot, and downshift to 1st gear before I go through mud, snow, or climb a hill. The engine is very responsive when I put the Tacoma into 4 low. Would the OV Tune get me more power in at least 2nd gear?

The OVTune helps, but doesn't eliminate the low end power situation on these trucks. The 3.5 motor is designed to make power high in the rpm range, hence why you end up in first gear in sucky situations like mud. First places you in the power band for the truck and allows you to claw out of the mud.

OVtune definitely broadens the overall useable power band and widens it compared to the stock tune. It's a lot better. That said it's still impossible to change certain characteristics of this motor with just tuning because the design is still the same design. The tune merely improves them. The power is still mainly up high, but the power band has also been widened slightly and more linear, which brings more power available down lower, which means... second gear.

Looking at Marlin Crawlers TacoBox
Will be calling OV turn for sure

Looking at Marlin Crawlers TacoBox
Will be calling OV turn for sure
I'm interested in the tune as well. the throttle is super laggy. I just want to tighten it up. when I push on the gas I mean it.

I'm interested in the tune as well. the throttle is super laggy. I just want to tighten it up. when I push on the gas I mean it.

Just adding another option to the mix. The Pedal Commander is another option for what you're describing as well. It doesn't change the tune at all, or add any power, but it works by changing the feel of the pedal. A lot of people are very happy with the stock tune and it. @Malcolm has used it and seemed pretty happy with it as well.

Just adding another option to the mix. The Pedal Commander is another option for what you're describing as well. It doesn't change the tune at all, or add any power, but it works by changing the feel of the pedal. A lot of people are very happy with the stock tune and it. @Malcolm has used it and seemed pretty happy with it as well.
Happy with it until i regeared

Yeah for sure, I've thought about the PC. I've heard some mixed reviews for long term use. Just hard to come from a Civic Si that goes when you push the gas, to the Tacoma that hesitates and bogs then goes. very trivial and not a deal breaker by any means.

Alright, so I have had a few days and probably 100 miles on the new OVTune release. Here's my thoughts.

Way, way better. The truck actually holds gears now. Even before on 1.05 it really didn't hold the gear I wanted. Now it holds 5th or 4th going up a decent grade and doesn't downshift and start screaming. Honestly it's so much better than stock and way better than 1.05.

I got on OVTune at 1.04r and that was a bit better than stock. 1.05 was supposed to be amazing, and while it was an improvement, it didn't blow me away. 2.0 Beta was recently released and man it's by far the best yet. If you have OVTune and haven't updated yet you need to do it. I know the Beta was only released for 04B04 and was only posted for a few days and if you didn't grab it you might have to wait until the actual finalized tune release. It will be absolutely worth the update when released though. Huge improvement.

I want to do the OVtune thing as well, but 50% of my driving is freeway..from dead stop on I-80 in Sacramento, to 70mph..will this drastically affect my gas mileage in a negative way? Super new to the Tacoma world of life

Shouldn’t, unless you’ve added larger tires, more weight and a parachute
Might improve depending on the tune

I want to do the OVtune thing as well, but 50% of my driving is freeway..from dead stop on I-80 in Sacramento, to 70mph..will this drastically affect my gas mileage in a negative way? Super new to the Tacoma world of life

Most people are actually claiming improved mileage with the tune. Especially in stock trucks. My mileage sucks due mainly to weight, lift, and tires.

How fast are the tunes normally out of beta? I’m guessing it’ll technically do some warranty voiding if Toyota wanted to play that game?

How fast are the tunes normally out of beta? I’m guessing it’ll technically do some warranty voiding if Toyota wanted to play that game?

Yes. It sure would effect your warranty of Toyota knew what you were doing. That said the tune is undetectable at the dealer. They can't read the ecu program in that way.

I think just about everything I’ve done is warranty voiding if Toyota wants to play that game. modified driveline, suspension, electronics, 3 batteries, cut various holes in it just to mention but not limited to

Happy with it until i regeared
How did the regearing change the performance? Does it increase throttle response or mpg? I'm scraping by on 15mpg now that i upgraded to 285s, and the performance suffered dramatically from 265.

How did the regearing change the performance? Does it increase throttle response or mpg? I'm scraping by on 15mpg now that i upgraded to 285s, and the performance suffered dramatically from 265.

I just regeared to 5.29's myself, so I'm now geared with OVTune.

The gears basically take the entire spread of useable rpm range and makes it smaller. Imagine looking at your hand, spread your fingers wide open and imagine each finger is a gear. To the left and right of each gear is speeds that each adjacent gear can access and work at, for example 3rd and 4th can both be used at 45 mph. For our trucks, your fingers from the factory are stretched ridiculously wide. Almost break your hand wide, and the truck just doesn't make enough power to even keep the truck in 5th and 6th gear as it has to overcome the resistance it sees at those speeds.

Then you install gears and your hand is now comfortably spread, not stretched. Each gear isn't so damn far from the next and when the truck upshifts it doesn't immediately feel like it is so low in the next gear that it's going to bog down. Instead it feels more like it falls closer to that sweet spot of lower rpm torque. At the same time once you get up into a higher gear the truck has less trouble holding that gear because it's got that nice torque on the lower end.

Does that make sense to anyone?

In the end is it faster? Does it accelerate quicker? I don't know. Does it get better mpg? Too early to tell for me but I think it may because the truck is less likely to be jumping around into different gears all the time. Instead it can just hold a single gear and actually cruise.

The 4.88’s I did made the power more accessible, I did go to 33’s and added weight. Believe it or not, still haven’t installed the tune

The 4.88’s I did made the power more accessible, I did go to 33’s and added weight. Believe it or not, still haven’t installed the tune

Are you running the base OVTune? Or just haven't installed the software at all?

I'm going to try the 4.88 tune with the 5.29s just to see how it works and also request a custom 5.29 tune.

Trying to “find “ which is the 4.88 tune
have been distracted
running the performance tune at the moment

Trying to “find “ which is the 4.88 tune
have been distracted
running the performance tune at the moment

Did you check the public page??

Back