• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

MBRP catback exhaust installed and tested

That's been my feedback for anybody who is interested. Hills...towing...both.
Exit location also has a lot to do with it. Mine dumped before the rear axle, just behind the back of the cab under the bed, facing the ground and not far from the rear cab vent. All of that will make the high clearance version perceptibly much louder inside the cab.

Absolutely.

I think the guys that are long beds with side exit will be the least of the drone. They didn't have to chop off 13 inches of pipe

Exit location also has a lot to do with it. Mine dumped before the rear axle, just behind the back of the cab under the bed, facing the ground and not far from the rear cab vent. All of that will make the high clearance version perceptibly much louder inside the cab.

I have the the 3"turn down and yes the drone is a beast but the exhaust sounds nice I am thinking of making a custom and going to 2 1/4" - 2.5" .
I will also make a note that I had some free time at work and I was playing with my exhaust I ended up taking it apart and and back together ,however this time I put the tip further on the muffler and the pipe further in as well, the end result was I shortened it by a bit fixed the exhaust leak by magic and surprisingly it's now a more tamed sound and on the highway the droning has seem to be 50% better , weird but a small win

I have the the 3"turn down and yes the drone is a beast but the exhaust sounds nice I am thinking of making a custom and going to 2 1/4" - 2.5" .
I will also make a note that I had some free time at work and I was playing with my exhaust I ended up taking it apart and and back together ,however this time I put the tip further on the muffler and the pipe further in as well, the end result was I shortened it by a bit fixed the exhaust leak by magic and surprisingly it's now a more tamed sound and on the highway the droning has seem to be 50% better , weird but a small win
That's very interesting, after I installed mine the first time I never messed with it. I wonder if maybe there were some exhaust leaks going on that I didn't know about which perhaps made matters worse... I don't have that truck anymore so the world may never know.

Those U clamps aren't the best for sealing.

Best I've seen are band clamps. Those are practically leak proof

That's very interesting, after I installed mine the first time I never messed with it. I wonder if maybe there were some exhaust leaks going on that I didn't know about which perhaps made matters worse... I don't have that truck anymore so the world may never know.

Those U clamps aren't the best for sealing.

Best I've seen are band clamps. Those are practically leak proof
Honestly that was the first bolt on exhaust I ever had so it leaking very well may have contributed to the obnoxiousness. Everything else I've had on every other vehicle including my previous Tacomas were fully welded other than the obvious flanged connections and flex joints.

Good food for thought, now I will know to at least check it if I ever encounter it again.

Back