• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maximum trailer tow weight?

There is no extended cab. Only the access cab and double cab. You are most likely looking at 6,800 pounds max though.

but yes, Toyota's stated towing capacity is 6400 lbs for the SR5, TRD Offroad, and Limited.

but yes, Toyota's stated towing capacity is 6400 lbs for the SR5, TRD Offroad, and Limited.
Why do I keep finding 6800 on my searches? Must be dealership sites trying to squeeze in a few extra pounds! :)

I saw 6800 lbs too. Toyota's website for 2021 taco's shows 6400. 🤷‍♂️

Also, when I was looking for the same info, I was looking for payload and thought it was 1150+ based on what the internet said. But..the yellow sticker on the drivers side door frame says 950lbs. Not much!!especially if your trailer tongue takes up a bunch of the 950.

Bumping this up. Towed my 21’ Tahoe 700 with a SBC to Havasu and back, I’d estimate 5500 lb. Kept it in 4s with ECT. Was able to run 65-75 without issue on flat ground. Struggled on the grades. For local towing, no issue. I wouldn’t want to do any kind of long trip regularly. MPG was 7-9. On the grades, I was struggling to maintain 55+ with the engine screaming dropping to 3rd at 4500+ RPM.

TLDR: Towing 4500+ better be on flat ground and not at altitude.

Disclaimer: I sold a 16 Ram 2500 CTD to get the Taco, so I might be a bit biased.

Well, I greatly exceeded the towing capacity a good while back. I sold a 27 ft. travel trailer and the lady needed it delivered. I had planned to borrow a truck but it wasn't available when I needed it. So I towed it with the Tacoma. '18 TRD Off Road. Towed it a little over 50 miles to her house. Power wasn't an issue and the suspension didn't bottom out but it was WAY light on the front end. If I remember correctly, the trailer weighed between 8,000 and 8,500 lbs.

Attachments

• 4A46E360-65D5-4E70-9A61-BAEA7A116961.jpeg
    4A46E360-65D5-4E70-9A61-BAEA7A116961.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 48
Back