• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

M1008 CUCV starter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Hey guys, didn’t think this was gonna come down to asking here, but it has.

12v starter.

Drove the CUCV through some water halfway up 37” tires. Kept driving it that day, got home, parked it. Next morning, no start.

It would crank the starter and basically sound like it was grinding the teeth. I eventually came to the idea of replacing the starter thinking it wasn’t plundging properly or something.

New starter installed, go to connect batteries. Both positives on, go to connect first negative, and it begins to try to start the truck. This becomes problem number two.

Find out my positive wire might be connected to the R terminal that would be causing this. So I switched it to the other positive terminal. Go to connect batteries, again first negative attempts to start the truck, though this time the original teeth grinding sound is now a starter bench test type of sound.

So I have two issues here:

Why can’t I connect the batteries?
Why doesn’t the truck start?

Currently investigating the starter relay, which maybe I should have done first.

Thank you.

Is it a remote mount solenoid? Next I'd ohm out the starter control wire to the battery positive lead. If O/L I'd be double checking wire connections on the starter. If there is continuity, look for shorts in the harness or ign switch condition.

It's been over 30 years for me but weren't they 24 volt systems? (spent some time driving the O6 around)

Is it a remote mount solenoid? Next I'd ohm out the starter control wire to the battery positive lead. If O/L I'd be double checking wire connections on the starter. If there is continuity, look for shorts in the harness or ign switch condition.
Thanks, will go through these mentions.
It's been over 30 years for me but weren't they 24 volt systems? (spent some time driving the O6 around)
Yes, but mine is 12v converted for convienence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back