• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

M/T gearbox whistle?

2023TacomaTRDO/R

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have a 2023 TRD Off-Road with 6spd m/t, since off the lot, there is a "whistle" type noise coming from the gearbox or directly under the shifter. Seems to start once letting off the throttle but also does it while on the throttle sometimes. Only lasts for a few seconds but it is definitely noticeable. Anyone else notice this?? I have read many posts people saying it's the rear end or even the a/c but I strongly disagree. The whistle or high pitch whine noise sure seems to be coming from right below the shifter.

I know what sound your talking about I have a 2022 MT,
It is a slight high pitched wrrr or as you say whistle when you at highway speed while barely accelerating or decelerating,........
it sounds for like 2 seconds.
Then quickly goes away as it came,.... it will go away instantly if you power up or let off the gas as well.

Its normal, its the meshing of the gears at no load coming of a load (load meaning under power)
A manual transmission has a lot going on in that box and it's just the shift boot between your ears and the gearbox........
Not much sound insulation between the gearbox and that shift boot (Toyota could have put more in).

The boot turned inside out,...... white material is sound/heat insulation.
1692475724129.png

As you say if you do nothing and keep speed and throttle the same it quickly goes away,...... gear oil is doing its job.
In the older "days" truck MT's sounded like a "school bus transmission"
They Wrrr'ed and sang like all get out...... Normal for them for their ratio and gear oil type.

Easy fix ,,, multiple choice,....
A ) Never slow down,.. just keep shifting and stay on the gas
B ) Turn up the tunes
C ) Tell your wife about your new girlfriend while driving to the store
D ) Feel good that you are in the 1% that get to drive a MT ,.... because it is happy and singing to ya!

Trust me pick any one of the above,..... BUT not "C".

Last edited:
Thank you for the response and the information. I have had a number of m/t trucks (4 of which have been Toyota) and have never heard quite this type of sound from the gearbox so I wanted to try and find out if it's normal or if anyone else has experienced the sound from this model of Tacoma. Seems this truck is the most "old fashioned" truck you can get for a '23 model..which is what I wanted so im definitely not complaining. I am extremely happy with the Tacoma, very very solid truck. Thanks again for the info.

Thank you for the response and the information. I have had a number of m/t trucks (4 of which have been Toyota) and have never heard quite this type of sound from the gearbox so I wanted to try and find out if it's normal or if anyone else has experienced the sound from this model of Tacoma. Seems this truck is the most "old fashioned" truck you can get for a '23 model..which is what I wanted so im definitely not complaining. I am extremely happy with the Tacoma, very very solid truck. Thanks again for the info.
Its a solid transmission.
You must use the correct GL 4 fluid.
https://tacoma3g.com/threads/gear-o...-vs-gl-5-differentials-transfer-and-mt.13931/

Last edited:
I never noticed that with my manual trans when I was stock, but I definitely do have transmission gear whine at 75ish in 5th/6th with my 5.29 gears. Must just be from how much faster everything is spinning at the same vehicle speed before the regear. No noise in 4th ever so I know it’s the transmission. I kind of want to add some noise dampening but I don’t know what. It’s annoying if I have music off.

I run SAE140 GL4 in the transmission now which helped a bit, but needs some double clutching when cold.

It's really faint and only last a second or two.
I bet half of humans can't even hear it is that sound range like an ear test. LOL

But nature of the beast with a gear box in a truck,.... gotta love it.
Different G4 (Red Lne or Toyota Gold) may change things who knows.

Gotta wonder if the factory uses the "24K G4 gold" in the can,.... pretty sure its a bulk barrel 14K G4 gold.
I know that is what the stealership uses as they told me at the parts counter.
"Bring in a jug,... well pump ya some"

Straight-cut gears in the manual transmission? I'm not sure as I'm new to the Tacoma. Also, I hear a faint whirring sound at slower speeds.

Back