• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

looking to purchase pre 2018 Taco

TwoDan

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 Limited DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
which years should i look at, and what issues should do i need investigate?

Thanks, Dan

When I bought my 2018 TRDOR, I could've ordered a new truck and waited for the same price I bought it certified. It all depends on your local market, rates/incentives, and what your approved for. Good luck with your search!

You can't go wrong with these trucks!!!

2015 and earlier are Gen2s and I don't know anything about those.
2016 was the first year and there were issues, most have been rectified via recalls.
2017 (my year) doesn't have any bells in whistles but everything works (for the manual transmissions anyway).
2018 is when they started adding all the sensors and such.

Mine's an '18, the first year of TSS. It hasn't been a problem but I understand wanting to avoid it. The PCS has given a few false positives and I really don't like the radar cruise control. The BSM sensors are in the rear bumper so you lose them if you get a high clearance replacement. The rear cross traffic alert is nice to have in town, though

Was searching for the perfect truck. As some here have said, prices between used and new were pretty close. So....this week I put a 1K deposit on a new Taco. Projected delivery is late July, no ADM, very nice dealership, and the waiting begins.
My 2500 Duramax will be sold or traded around July, to complete the sale of the new truck.
I'm a member of two other forums and this place looks like a friendly, knowledgeable place too.
Thanks for suggestions, info, and passionate replies. I may need to create a new thread or re-name this one.
Cheers, Dan

Nice! Congrats.

Surprised to hear someone swapping a 2500 Duramax for a Tacoma! That's pretty cool.

What color and trim did you go with?

Love my 2017. No TSS or any of that crap. I feel like they finally figured it out in 2017. Personally, I could do without the multi-terrain select "Crawl Control" as well. Just let me drive the damn thing!

Nice! Congrats.

Surprised to hear someone swapping a 2500 Duramax for a Tacoma! That's pretty cool.

What color and trim did you go with?
Found a 2021 Barcelona Red Limited Edition under 4K miles for sale 2 hours away. Traded last Tuesday. So far, so good.
Dan

Found a 2021 Barcelona Red Limited Edition under 4K miles for sale 2 hours away. Traded last Tuesday. So far, so good.
Dan
Awesome! I looked at the Limited trim pretty hard. I loved the tobacco colored interior, but couldn't find anything local with the color I wanted.

You'll enjoy some of the upgraded features I paid for after the purchase on the '21. I really wanted carplay. Let's see some pics of this beast!

Back