• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Light for camper shells?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
The dealer who sold me the leer camper top…mention he NO longer install lights hook up to the truck battery, uses instead AA or AAA battery lights…after a while it broke…

This is what I order this on Amazon. Item number #8542000743…Super bright Switch battery operated LED night light COB , cordless, takes 3- AAA..
Look like your average electrical light switch…. You can mount 3 ways , magnet, Velcro strips or screws, ( comes with each light)

I install it with Velcro strips -added 4 of them, inside rear camper window, facing forwards…best part…easy to turn on and off , very bright!
I use two inside the house. One I use the magnet on a filing cabinet, other, on a book case…

If you are looking for lights that you can place anywhere inside (Not water proof)…your camper …or even in a closet? This may work for you..
COB -chips-on-aboard) lights …Are some of brightest LED lights…but they drain batteries quickly…? How can you tell a COB light….it is yellow bars strips dots..etc….
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
My Leer dealer connected the OEM light bar located inside the truck cap shell as part of the install cost. The technician did a great job wiring it up to the battery, and the LED bulb works like a charm. I wonder why your dealer won't provide this service?

I had a Leer installed on my F150 about a year ago and yeah, a led light and usb came standard. Weird that your dealer didn’t “hook you up”.

The dealer mention he could install a light , but does NOT recommended anymore..because a few people accidentally left there light on..killing the truck batteries..
Be carefully on yours ,always check it is off…
Any way…if my camper light is left on…it will drain my 3 AAA’s…easy to install, easy to replace, BRIGHT TOO!
I can remove it and use as a flashlight or outside tent light…the magnet will stick to the Tacoma truck…
I got the 6 pack…$17.99 Amazon prime… so far I use 5 …maybe the last one in the glove box?

Thought about hooking it up to the bed light? That's how most bed lights are done.
Maybe even use a motion sensor? The batteries just become a pain over time. Recharging them is a pain. Then keeping spares that don't drain.
Just buying them is expensive. Then the bulk packs don't last as long.

I've dealt with this for lights in closets, gun safe and my front door. I just want to hardwire everything.

I feel like if you turn it on, you'll remember. The installer was probably just being lazy.

Last edited:
I live off the grid…all my house lights are battery operated….when doing laundry, I run a generator , and have a few lights connected for electrical lights.. most of the important battery lights are motion sensor…
Propane refrigerator, propane stove ,propane water heater..propane dryer…
Yes I do at times miss the electricity, too many tall trees around my home…No solar…the rest of the farm homes and coffee mill has solar power and solar batteries…

Am I able to hook up a light to my truck battery? Yes..I could. And yes , nice to have NOT to keep replacing AAA battees is a good idea , but …at least I do not need to worry about battery drain from the camper lights…
I do a lot of nighttime fishing, I always carry headlamps and spares…often times no need to use camper lights…except when looking for a headlamp in the back of camper at night..lol
Thanks guy and ...keep the light off …

Yes I do buy lots and lots of batteries…Costco…lol.

Something like this under the sideview mirrors would work.
Angle where water shouldn't really get on the front lens area to obstruct the view.

Capture.PNG

I looked into this extensively when I had my stock unit. I was able to mirror my phone, stream things, swap cameras and all. Had Google Chrome, Alexa, Android and Apple. Wanted to expand on it more. Was trying to find the simplest configuration with least amount of wiring and I think I was able to do that.

NqRZDg.jpg

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcOtX11uHY

I did run across a few modules. Switchers, 4 channel/4 way splits and even the front/rear/side split set ups.

s-l300.jpg
s-l400.jpg
4-x-18-ir-led-reverse-camera-24v-7-quot-lcd.jpg

Thanks for sharing…. Maybe one day?
Having a long bed with a camper shell…I must really relied on my mirrors…and No I do not have those blind spot mirrors…I am sure it helps a lot…!
Aloha

Back