• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lift question for newbie

tfruge

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have 2017 Tacoma off-road. Was planning on doing 285/75/16 stock wheels with 5100 bilstein shocks with stock springs for now and a inch and quarter wheel spacer. I don’t off-road much. Only when I need maybe I will get into later on idk. Just was wondering with this lift set up it’ll fit correctly before I spend money. I’m in military so I don’t have the big bucks like some of you so this is my budget lift if it works.

Also found some FN five stars on db marketplace with -25 offset if I got those wheels instead of keeping it stock what tire size and lift would y’all recommend. Also would you recommend-25 offset idk if that’s bad or not. I can’t find any info on it.

I currently run 285/75/16 BFG KM3s, my wheels are 16x8 w/ a 0mm offset, icon stage 1 Coilovers set at 1.75" in the front, the rear are icon stage 1 shocks with a RXT stage 1 leaf pack sitting at approximately 2". I've yet to rub anywhere in the wheel wells and have been able to completely flex the suspension out with zero problems. If I were you, I'd look at some Bilstiens, either 5100s or 5160s. With keeping your stock wheels, the spacers will help create that offset needed in the front wheel well to clear the UCA, cab mount and fenders/trim.

Should be fine with the Bilsteins. The wheels will have a little bit of poke but depending on width should fit pretty nice.

Stock offroad Wheels are +25, so those wheels would poke +2" from what you have now if they're the same width, might have more if they're wider.

FWIW my wheels are 17x8.5 -10 and they fit perfect.

Last edited:
If you don't off road that much, are you going 285's for the look?

I feel my 265/70/17 look beefy enough for me. I daily drive my truck 300+ miles a week.

If you don't off road that much, are you going 285's for the look?

I feel my 265/70/17 look beefy enough for me. I daily drive my truck 300+ miles a week.
Your truck actually looks nice man. I do like that look. Did you need a cab mount chop?

Your truck actually looks nice man. I do like that look. Did you need a cab mount chop?
I appreciate it.

No mine doesn't require it. I actually ran these wheels/tires before my lift with no issues. I only rubbed on my front mud flaps, so I removed them.

Back