• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Leveling Blocks

Smitty

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I bought these 1" leveling blocks that go in the coil springs, says I just need to jack the truck up to release enough tension and "thread them on" but when I jacked up my truck, in several different ways, I had nowhere near enough room to fit them.. This is what I got:

1657031551505.png

Any suggestions on how to get enough clearance to get these on? Or do I just need to take the shocks off..?

So I bought these 1" leveling blocks that go in the coil springs, says I just need to jack the truck up to release enough tension and "thread them on" but when I jacked up my truck, in several different ways, I had nowhere near enough room to fit them.. This is what I got:

1657031551505.png

Any suggestions on how to get enough clearance to get these on? Or do I just need to take the shocks off..?
You'll have to take your coilovers off and compress the springs to make them fit

You'll have to take your coilovers off and compress the springs to make them fit
Ugh I thought so.. I was really hoping somebody knew a trick I could do but Ig I gotta make a project out of it lol, thanks sm!

Another thing is looking at them they seem pretty big, the package says half inch spacers, but says it gives me up to an inch... Does it just compress it and give me about an inch more I assume? Sorry for dumb questions I'm not the best when it comes to lifts and all that haha

Ugh I thought so.. I was really hoping somebody knew a trick I could do but Ig I gotta make a project out of it lol, thanks sm!

Another thing is looking at them they seem pretty big, the package says half inch spacers, but says it gives me up to an inch... Does it just compress it and give me about an inch more I assume? Sorry for dumb questions I'm not the best when it comes to lifts and all that haha
Are you stock now? What shocks do you have?
There's some devil's magic involved with the front. Whatever the lift is for spacer, it's halved. Haven't really thought of if it's just one side or it's the increase weight on the driver side or if it's just general for lifts that range between x"and x". So always good to see if it's actual lift or actual size of the spacer. Depending on material it could compress. But they should be dense enough that compression is minimal. Compressing would lead to degradation and for it wear/rot away. Always prefer aluminum over rubber/polymer for lifts. Seeing that it has an opening, I'm guessing you can stretch it open to install. You can see in a lot of trucks where the spring isolator/insulator gets compress so much it dries out over time and cracks. Which to me it seems like it deteriorates and pieces fall out over time.

IMHO, coil spacers are a no go for me. Shocks only have so much space to compress the spring. So when you add a coil spacer, your adding outward force to the shock. Without enough weight/constant pressure, it can lead to premature failure. I feel it's harder to estimate what the lift will end up being taking into consideration how much the spring you have on there is compressed which would change ride quality. It would be harsh ride where coil spacers are installed. This will make it very stiff, absorb less and limit travel movement. Could be over pressurized and also lead to early failure. Just a bad idea all around.

From your build thread...
I would go Bilstein 5100's, OME Spring and AAL at the minimum. Can't recommend that enough for small lifts. Always avoid Rough Country. I'll post over there.

Are you stock now? What shocks do you have?
There's some devil's magic involved with the front. Whatever the lift is for spacer, it's halved. Haven't really thought of if it's just one side or it's the increase weight on the driver side or if it's just general for lifts that range between x"and x". So always good to see if it's actual lift or actual size of the spacer. Depending on material it could compress. But they should be dense enough that compression is minimal. Compressing would lead to degradation and for it wear/rot away. Always prefer aluminum over rubber/polymer for lifts. Seeing that it has an opening, I'm guessing you can stretch it open to install. You can see in a lot of trucks where the spring isolator/insulator gets compress so much it dries out over time and cracks. Which to me it seems like it deteriorates and pieces fall out over time.

IMHO, coil spacers are a no go for me. Shocks only have so much space to compress the spring. So when you add a coil spacer, your adding outward force to the shock. Without enough weight/constant pressure, it can lead to premature failure. I feel it's harder to estimate what the lift will end up being taking into consideration how much the spring you have on there is compressed which would change ride quality. It would be harsh ride where coil spacers are installed. This will make it very stiff, absorb less and limit travel movement. Could be over pressurized and also lead to early failure. Just a bad idea all around.

From your build thread...
I would go Bilstein 5100's, OME Spring and AAL at the minimum. Can't recommend that enough for small lifts. Always avoid Rough Country. I'll post over there.
Yea I'm 100% stock.. Only done minor cosmetic "upgrades" as of rn. I definitely want to at least level my truck, not too sure if I wanna lift her yet.. But def no higher than a 2" lift

Zach for what it's worth, I have blocks in the rear of my truck. I just went 1" block, but I also have extended travel shocks. I think with OEM suspension you'll over extend the rears.

Zach for what it's worth, I have blocks in the rear of my truck. I just went 1" block, but I also have extended travel shocks. I think with OEM suspension you'll over extend the rears.
Honestly, right now at least, I just wanna level it. I wanna wait for me to get in a better financial state and the economy to stabilize again, somewhat, before I fully look into lift kits and suspensions and all that

Back