• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Lets Talk Tires!

Smitty

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Yea I know this has been brought up before a few times, but I have a few questions on tires.

Right now, I'm running the stock 30's with BFGoodrich tires. I like them don't get me wrong, buuuuuut I think it's time for an upgrade when I get my suspension and lift upgrades.

What's the biggest tire I can get without rubbing? I've heard 32'2 should be okay, anything above that you'll rub. I wanna say 34's and up you need to cut? I have no idea and am not the best with tires. I think I wanna go with 32's with a 15" rim maybe 16. Thoughts anyone?

For stock OR wheels and stock height I'd recommend

265/75/16

Same size I have but a 16". I'm running 265/70/17. I ran those because I knew 100% I could run them without rubbing. Some say you can run pizza cutters 255/80(85 in your case) and not rub. I did have to remove my mud flaps.

Tire brand is really based on personal preference really. I went Falken Wildpeak AT/3 C load because of availability and great reviews. My tires are just a little louder than the stock tires. But perform great offroad.

Yeah, pizza cutters don't rub on a stock OR. I have 235/85/16s on mine without issue. Stock suspension. Would a 15" rim clear the brakes, though?

O
Yeah, pizza cutters don't rub on a stock OR. I have 235/85/16s on mine without issue. Stock suspension. Would a 15" rim clear the brakes, though?
Ooooo that's a good question... I assume they should?

What exactly are pizza cutters? I think I've heard of them.. Also I think I'm gonna end up running with Falken Wildpeak tires. Not sure what rims I want still..

If you're ok trimming a little front and rear fender, and ok with a little rub at full flex and steering lock, you can run 285/75/16 (32.8 inch outside diameter) on your TRD-OR. Did this on my 2016.
F5142059-0B46-4962-BFC6-E7706D8C7A32.jpeg

If you're ok trimming a little front and rear fender, and ok with a little rub at full flex and steering lock, you can run 285/75/16 (32.8 inch outside diameter) on your TRD-OR. Did this on my 2016.
F5142059-0B46-4962-BFC6-E7706D8C7A32.jpeg
That looks really badass. Is there an easy way to prevent rub? Maybe spacers?

That looks really badass. Is there an easy way to prevent rub? Maybe spacers?
Had spacers on the rear, worked fine. Spacers in the front on this one increase the "arc" of the steering radius, and so it pushes the tire into the fender/flare on the rear of the front wheel well; and into the front part where the bumper plastic wraps into the fender.

The way to get it not to rub is to lift it, to trim the plastic, and to not care too much when it goes "grmph" when you're turning and going over a bump.

Back