• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune KdMax vs OTT tune

trentrb211

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from anyone that has used both of these tunes. So much information out there and trying to find good feedback from people that have actually used both tunes. I'm hoping to install soon on a 23 limited edition. 18 inch stock wheels

Most have not run both. Consensus is that you'll like one more than the other, but it will depend on your preferences. When people have switched, they compared an old version of one with the newest version of the other, which IMO isn't a fair comparison. Both are better than stock, and both are better than the standard one offered from VF. I've been running KD for the last year (a few different versions) and like it very much. Their customer support won me over while OTT gave me the runaround. KD is great out of the box, but I've had my tune tweaked by Kreg (the K in KD) a few times to suite my individual preferences and it's pretty great now. OTT is fully emissions legal now for everywhere but Cali, and KD is going thru the process to get the certification as well. KD won me over because of how great they are to work with. But most important would be to find a tuner near you for either option in case you want to make changes later (if you don't opt to buy the software yourself).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have talked to Chris with KD and I'm very close to pulling the trigger with him and his remote service. I just get this filling that all the online reviews of OTT are just to bias.

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to Chris with KD and I'm very close to pulling the trigger with him and his remote service. I just get this filling that all the online reviews of OTT are just to bias.
I had this same feeling tbh and I don't regret KD, especially with the customizations.

Most have not run both. Consensus is that you'll like one more than the other, but it will depend on your preferences. When people have switched, they compared an old version of one with the newest version of the other, which IMO isn't a fair comparison. Both are better than stock, and both are better than the standard one offered from VF. I've been running KD for the last year (a few different versions) and like it very much. Their customer support won me over while OTT gave me the runaround. KD is great out of the box, but I've had my tune tweaked by Kreg (the K in KD) a few times to suite my individual preferences and it's pretty great now. OTT is fully emissions legal now for everywhere but Cali, and KD is going thru the process to get the certification as well. KD won me over because of how great they are to work with. But most important would be to find a tuner near you for either option in case you want to make changes later (if you don't opt to buy the software yourself).

Thanks for the info.

Same experience for me. KDMax has ben very helpful, even when my issue was computer related. Happy with how the truck runs. I've tried to get OTT files a couple times to compare the most recent to the most recent, but it's frankly been a pain in the a$$ to deal with them. First tune I got from Kreg he said to try it and send him the money if I liked it. Completely opposite experiences.

I have the OTT "Spicy" tune and it's...fine I guess. I feel like if you get the tune on a manual you aren't going to get as much bang for your buck. The tuners out here charge $500 and are pretty good about doing tweaks without an additional charge. I guess I was just expecting more is all. I've been running it for a year and a half now.

Keep in mind the support you get is going to be based on your location as these tunes are by individual reps that get licensed by OTT or KDMax to offer the tune. It can simply be some dude that just does this on the side, doesn't really know much or care, etc. One persons experience in their area is not going to be the same for other areas.

My local OTT guys are spot on. I called them on Monday and had a tune by Friday. They also offer free changes so when I add armor or if I decide I want a different throttle map I just call, set up a time, and it's free to reflash. I've read that a lot of other areas or brands charge an additional $100 or so for any future changes.

My OTT has performed great so far. Key is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes after the flash so the ECM re-learns your driving habits. I did not do this at first and felt underwhelmed with the results, but after disconnecting the battery it feels like a whole new truck.

Keep in mind the support you get is going to be based on your location as these tunes are by individual reps that get licensed by OTT or KDMax to offer the tune. It can simply be some dude that just does this on the side, doesn't really know much or care, etc. One persons experience in their area is not going to be the same for other areas.

My local OTT guys are spot on. I called them on Monday and had a tune by Friday. They also offer free changes so when I add armor or if I decide I want a different throttle map I just call, set up a time, and it's free to reflash. I've read that a lot of other areas or brands charge an additional $100 or so for any future changes.

My OTT has performed great so far. Key is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes after the flash so the ECM re-learns your driving habits. I did not do this at first and felt underwhelmed with the results, but after disconnecting the battery it feels like a whole new truck.

VF tune has the option to clear this. It’s as simple as clicking a button. I wonder why your tuner OTT didn’t do this.

Apparently I can't delete my own posts on this forum. Admins pls remove this one.

VF tune has the option to clear this. It’s as simple as clicking a button. I wonder why your tuner OTT didn’t do this.

I've also never disconnected the battery during a tune and I've used the VF software to push tunes on multiple platforms. Zero issues.

you can't go wrong with kd max. i've had mine for well over 3 years and love it

So my next question would be. How about highway driving after you guys got tuned up? In town driving is fine with my 2023. But good god and get on the highway and try to maintain a curtain speed, its brutal. One little incline and its horrible. Does the tunes help this issue. All the feedback has been good. thanks to all

So my next question would be. How about highway driving after you guys got tuned up? In town driving is fine with my 2023. But good god and get on the highway and try to maintain a curtain speed, its brutal. One little incline and its horrible. Does the tunes help this issue. All the feedback has been good. thanks to all
This is pretty much the main reason we all did the tune ;)

Around town the truck is pretty much fine always, but get on the freeway and the trans sucks. Gets exponentially worse when you put taller tires.

Back