• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is this the dreaded axle leak?

2023TxTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Noticed this on my 2023 Sport. I washed it off, I'll see if it comes back. I thought that it was just roadkill spit because it looked clear and didn't have a smell on my fingers.
Thanks,
Dustin...

Attachments

• 20231008_170903.jpg
    20231008_170903.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 57
2023? Just tell the dealer to fix it lol.

The dealer in Waco is incompetent...I'm thinking about a day trip to Cedar Park. Are they okay with repairs? That is where I bought the truck. I'm willing to drive for a good fix....

Donno, I'm in AZ and my vehicles only ever see the dealer when they get delivered.

I might just pull it apart myself....rather than the massive headache of an incompetent mechanic

Looks like some lube escaped the vent. There's another spot above the one you are considering to be a leak. Remove the vent and listen for pressure to escape.

As mentioned, check the vent. Also, throughly clean the axel and see if it comes back. It could have come off the road or something you hit.

A little late, I'm finding fluid capacities of 3.6qt-4.2qts. It's a 2023 V6 Sport Crew cab short bed 4x4 6spd manual. I see several references in the manual to the above. Amsoil fluid capacity chart says 3.7qts for my truck. Is 3.7qts correct? Changing fluid Saturday with a good cleaning....maybe it's overfilled...idk

A little late, I'm finding fluid capacities of 3.6qt-4.2qts. It's a 2023 V6 Sport Crew cab short bed 4x4 6spd manual. I see several references in the manual to the above. Amsoil fluid capacity chart says 3.7qts for my truck. Is 3.7qts correct? Changing fluid Saturday with a good cleaning....maybe it's overfilled...idk
Depends on the differential type AND gear ratio,.... my manual has 4:30 Factory gears.
1697143509782.png

What? I see long bed and with or without diff lock, nothing about the 6spd Manual or gears
Mine, 2023 Crew cab Sport 4x4 V6 4.30 gears Short bed.
Called 2 dealers and one said 4qts and one said 3.1qts....which is it? I gave BOTH my VIN too.

You have to buy 4 quarts anyway.. then just fill it till it drips out of the fill hole. Pointless to just change fluid rn though until you figure out if you have a leak or not.

Drain it and measure what you get,.....
Some find theirs low from the factory and some find them filled to the hole.
Just get enough for the front and back diffs have an extra quart can be used the next time.

What? I see long bed and with or without diff lock, nothing about the 6spd Manual or gears
Mine, 2023 Crew cab Sport 4x4 V6 4.30 gears Short bed.
Called 2 dealers and one said 4qts and one said 3.1qts....which is it? I gave BOTH my VIN too.

Toyota is not differentiating rear axle fluid capacity by manual or automatic transmissions or gear ratios.

I got exactly 4 qts out. I put 4 back in. It didn't dribble out of the filler hole, but I checked it with the stinky pinky and the level was just a few millimeter s below the hole. I called that good. I washed the whole axle. I was Definitely coming from the vent.

When I pulled the fill plug, it made a long sucking noises...I have a vent ordered
Read this thread,..... it will solve more than just one issue...

Back