• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is this the best tailgate cover?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Those factory tailgate …when climbing on..those ribs hurts the knees…. Finally someone made with a cushion type material …
Billybars- Makes lots of custom parts for Toyotas…there MODS ..looks extremely heavy duty….even there bed stiffers..looks stronger and better made..cover more areas, too..
See Billybars new tailgate replacement inserts, also comes with two huge cup holders…. $275.00…. I may get one too…Easy install ..matches all the screw holes..SUPER NICE looking too!!!
See all there other after MODS for your Toyota…
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooke Road is way better and cheaper. Bolted right in no problems. I also didn't have any stopper issues.
1649993776473.png

A buddy just cut a piece of camping pad and taped it to his bed. Works perfectly.

I have been thinking of using some kind of rubber pads, possible indoor/outdoor carpeting…?
Thank for the Hooke road tailgate cover…have to look into it..
Maybe Velcro and carpeting? Replaceable…. Or knee pads..lol
Aloha

I was going to make it myself, but a sheet of HDPE was just as expensive plus shipping. I usually like to DIY.

I really hate to break it to you guys but "IT'S A TRUCK". If you haven't scratched the bed or tailgate you aren't using it for it's intended purpose.

I was going to make it myself, but a sheet of HDPE was just as expensive plus shipping. I usually like to DIY.
Same here, man. I got some cut to size from my local TAP Plastics for ~$60, no need to get a full size sheet if there's a place like that near you. It came out ok but if I were to do DIY again I might try aluminum instead.

The one you shared says it's "1/4" Durable Marine Grade Foam Padding". I feel like once something rubs or pokes it, it'll start to wear in that spot. Probably better to just get a solid on and attach your own padding if you prefer that. That way it's replaceable. Like 3m Plastic Velcro and Foam Floor Tiles.
You could even Plastidip it if you want some kind of coating on top of that.

1650050960029.png
1650050940236.png

I made the “buy”! I order the Hooke Road tailgate panel, Amazon Prime, $169.00 fast delivery too.
They say up to two people to install? Nope! Came with longer screws. You can reuse the top of tail gate screws ( wide head) but the bottom half , better to use the S/S screws that came with the tailgate panel.
Super easy install , 20 minutes, tailgate closes with NO problems! The material was on the heavier side due to the thickness (meaning “tuff” stuff!) . Yes it will get scratched! It is a plastic like material.

Note: I have a bed stuffer, but when I use higher pressure on the cargo bar, it will spread the bed outerwards. So I use it on the lighter side. Bed stiffeners may help? But the bed design is not very strong! The bed stiffeners, only supports that spot only!
You can still add foam or carpet more easier due to it is completely flat!
DF5334F6-0656-426C-B2BA-96F5FC196F51.jpeg
A440FC1C-33F6-4C4D-8457-EC31B632CF9B.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B269C87-A807-4679-A10B-33EBFEE808A0.jpeg
    7B269C87-A807-4679-A10B-33EBFEE808A0.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 0F084B51-4A18-405C-B1FA-F72EDA6B3CF2.jpeg
    0F084B51-4A18-405C-B1FA-F72EDA6B3CF2.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 70
They are truly the best affordable option. Enjoy!

My brother-in-law has a 2021 Ford Ranger FX4, did you know Ford Rangers tailgates has NO tailgate dampers! Tailgate just drops. Even the 2023 Rangers will not have Tailgate dampers.
Ford is really going cheap. Every brand today , tailgate dampers is the norm!
If Ford willing to go cheap? I wonder what else they are cutting back?

Aftermarket tailgate dampers runs from $20 + to $50 from ford dealers.

I grabbed one from Snail Armor a couple years ago. Was about 180 bucks and well worth it. Powder coated aluminum and it has taken a beating.
20200825_174206-01.jpeg

Yeah, aluminum is the best in my opinion. It's tougher and doesn't warp with temperature swings like my DIY HDPE panel.

Hooke Road is a plastic type material. Never thought of the heat factor. I finally crawl in to bed of my camper today. The Hooke tailgate cover was very comfortable compare to the factory.

Well we see if it warps? My location is Hawaii.

To be honest it's not a big deal unless you really want a flat panel to work on. It's just that sometimes when I get in my truck after the inner tailgate has been in the sun I can see how warped it is by the shadows alone. But it doesn't damage anything and it'll return to flat when it cools down. I suspect this could be mitigated by oversizing the mounting holes and not tightening it down too much so that it can expand freely. But I can't be bothered. I can see this being an issue for those who use their truck for actual work and need a durable, flat surface though. If I were to buy one I'd probably go for SnailArmor.

Oh, by the way, mine has taken some cuts. It's essentially a giant cutting board so cuts and gouges definitely show. Another reason to go aluminum.

Tailgate 1.jpg
Tailgate 3.jpg

I received the tailgate cover from SnailArmor.com, in less than a week and the install took about 10-15 minutes. Really liking the look and feel of this already!

Very nice! Snail Armor listed the aluminum cover at $200.00. The flat tailgate covers so much more comfortable to crawl on when getting into the bed of the camper ( Leer camper top).

I think the Tacoma OME tailgate is a plastic type of material also.

Back