• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is this a good price for a new Taco?

Jetspeed

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD Off-Road Premium Off-Road and Technology Package. $39,800 + %6 tax. I plan to pay cash. I feel like it is a really good deal but since I'm a newbie I'd like your thoughts and/or suggestions.

Assuming this is a double cab short bed 4wd automatic then yea that’s a good deal. Below msrp probably because they’re making room for 2021 inventory.

Anytime you’re at MSRP on a Toyota then you’re good. Below MSRP is a deal. Over MSRP and they’re working you over.

I probably I bought the same model back in Jan 2020 and paid 38,700 cash. That was pre-Covid, from what I hear from friends right now, dealers don’t seem to be budging from MRSP. I would buy it.

Attachments

• 0AE52E95-D765-4AD1-BE3B-1C5247EA20EF.jpeg
    0AE52E95-D765-4AD1-BE3B-1C5247EA20EF.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Assuming this is a double cab short bed 4wd automatic then yea that’s a good deal. Below msrp probably because they’re making room for 2021 inventory.

Anytime you’re at MSRP on a Toyota then you’re good. Below MSRP is a deal. Over MSRP and they’re working you over.
Thanks nickyreno. I started at their Dealer Cost. MSRP is $43,870 and their cost is $38,700. I offered %3 above their cost after carefully pounding them to get their true cost (as much as this is possible). They showed their hand by hesitating but realized I was willing to walk. This doesn't mean I got a great deal so I'm soliciting comments here.

Last edited:
I probably I bought the same model back in Jan 2020 and paid 36,800 cash. That was pre-Covid, from what I hear from friends right now, dealers don’t seem to be budging from MRSP. I would buy it.
Thanks Butch. I didn't study your sticker to see if they are the same truck. My MSRP is well north of $43K. Not that that means a whole lot. I Haven't signed anything yet so if I can find a better deal I'm all ears and willing to travel. I did go to 2 other dealers and did some online buying options and no other dealer comes close to the price I'm being offered (one salesman intimated that I was lying so I walked). I realize this doesn't mean much but it's gotta mean something, no? I guess it comes down to which dealer needs to make a sale more than another. October is the best time to buy as they need to make room for 2021's. Trade off for me being I'll take a bigger depreciation hit. I don't care as I'm paying cash and plan to keep the truck forever, or at least until I get the itch for the next latests and greatest Taco :)

BTW congrats on your Taco you got a killer deal!

Thanks Butch. I didn't study your sticker to see if they are the same truck. My MSRP is well north of $43K. Not that that means a whole lot. I Haven't signed anything yet so if I can find a better deal I'm all ears and willing to travel. I did go to 2 other dealers and did some online buying options and no other dealer comes close to the price I'm being offered (one salesman intimated that I was lying so I walked). I realize this doesn't mean much but it's gotta mean something, no? I guess it comes down to which dealer needs to make a sale more than another. October is the best time to buy as they need to make room for 2021's. Trade off for me being I'll take a bigger depreciation hit. I don't care as I'm paying cash and plan to keep the truck forever, or at least until I get the itch for the next latests and greatest Taco :)

BTW congrats on your Taco you got a killer deal!
I probably I bought the same model back in Jan 2020 and paid 36,800 cash. That was pre-Covid, from what I hear from friends right now, dealers don’t seem to be budging from MRSP. I would buy it.
Any suggestions you have for how you got such a great deal?

I just spent a lot of time looking up prices, knowing the exact options I wanted, emailing dealerships asking their best prices and then I walked into the dealership near my house and lied and said that another dealership on the other side of town said they would sell me the same truck for 38,700 but I didn’t want to drive that far. It worked. The best quote that I had actually gotten was 40,700.

I just spent a lot of time looking up prices, knowing the exact options I wanted, emailing dealerships asking their best prices and then I walked into the dealership near my house and lied and said that another dealership on the other side of town said they would sell me the same truck for 38,700 but I didn’t want to drive that far. It worked. The best quote that I had actually gotten was 40,700.
Good job! Thanks for the info. Where did you buy?

Camelback Toyota in Phoenix.

Back in April, I found the truck I wanted on a lot and called the dealer. It was right at the beginning of the pandemic and production had ceased. The local dealers were not receiving more stock, nor were they making dealer trades. I had a deal lined up out of state, but didn’t want to travel to purchase. I got my local dealer to match the deal I lined up - $1,600 or so under INVOICE, not sticker.

Your offer seems good.

I mmmeeeaaaannnn I put mine up for sale for 40 lol, i wanna get a landcruiser as a trail rig

Back