• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Instagram algorithm: what the hell goes on?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Disregard this thread if you’re not someone who “does it for the gram” because I’m about to sound like 19 year old teeny bopper to you, lol
———

If you do post regularly, you probably know how difficult it is to get engagement and grow your page. Specifically, how unpredictable it is. I actually originally started using it shortly after it’s creation and have seen it change many times over the years, but it’s never been as bad as it is now.

Why does this matter to me? It matters because the T3G page and now my WW page are essentially my businesses that I obviously want to grow. I don’t necessarily care about arbitrary “like” numbers like the teenies do, I care about consistency and improvement in engagement, resulting in growth.

I have my personal page that I usually don’t use hashtags or tag anyone with because there’s no need to have that page grow. The posts I make there are for friends and family.

Now, what are the IG developers trying to accomplish by having their various algorithms make no sense?

Couple things that sparked my creation of this thread:

— The T3G page, for the last two months, was gaining 100 to 150 new followers per day. After it broke 50k total followers, it dropped to about 50 new followers per day.

— A post on the T3G page will get 500 to 800 likes on the low end, 800 to 1700 on the medium end, and 1700 to 3000 on the high end, although anything above 2500 is rare. Anything above 3000 is very rare. For 50k people following, those numbers are very small, which means Instagram isn’t showing the posts to a majority of the followers. Why not?

— To put the last point into perspective, I posted a photo of my Chevy on my WW account yesterday, which is now the most liked photo on that account (people like the Chevy more than my Yota :cry:). So far, that photo has about 750 likes and it’s still growing. The account itself has about 866 followers. No need to do the exact math, but that’s almost a 1:1 like to follower ratio. 750 likes is in the realm of a low end T3G post, an account that has almost 60x more followers. This is what I mean about inconsistency.
———

I don’t know if many of you are focused on growing a page for anything more than a hobby, so I don’t know if you guys think this deep into it? At the end of the day it’s really just a hobby for me too, but I do also see it as an important part of my future since I’ll be living in my truck as “that guy Tyler from T3G and WW”. It would be nice if they would just let us grow in a more straight forward way...

Last edited:
Back