• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

If you only knew what your rear stock bumper was made of...

Waiala

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I installed a quarter inch thick steel plate bumper from Hooke Off Road and during the dismantling of the stock bumper which is 85% PLASTIC and 15% thin as tin metal makes me think OMG a good accident from behind, I could meet my creator.

Rear end me now and your on your way to the hospital.

Attachments

• 20231208_165041.jpg
    20231208_165041.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20231208_165317.jpg
    20231208_165317.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231208_165327.jpg
    20231208_165327.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231208_165341.jpg
    20231208_165341.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20231208_165353.jpg
    20231208_165353.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 68
I installed a quarter inch thick steel plate bumper from Hooke Off Road and during the dismantling of the stock bumper which is 85% PLASTIC and 15% thin as tin metal makes me think OMG a good accident from behind, I could meet my creator.

Rear end me now and your on your way to the hospital.
Love the bumper! Front and rear bumpers are definitely on my “must haves” upgrade list!

Vehicles today use the collapse / crush method to lower passenger injury.
They are not as concerned about vehicle damage,.. as 90% of vehicles today on the road are made with the same method.

Aftermarket bumpers maybe strong but it can only hold back what the frame can support.

Think of this,... with 25 pounds of force you crush an aluminum can on your head.
The can is smashed and you may have a cut or bruise.
......... with 25 pounds of force do the same motion with a hammer to your head.
The hammer is undamaged but you most likely will die.

Unless the entire frame work is as strong as the bumper you gain only bumper protection.
The rest remains the same.

Very true. But I would imagine the frame is much stronger than the existing bumper, were it not using the crush method. Meaning that I would still prefer a much better, much beefier bumper upgrade (like the OPs), thus protecting the occupants as well as the truck itself.

Vehicles today use the collapse / crush method to lower passenger injury.
They are not as concerned about vehicle damage,.. as 90% of vehicles today on the road are made with the same method.

Aftermarket bumpers maybe strong but it can only hold back what the frame can support.

Think of this,... with 25 pounds of force you crush an aluminum can on your head.
The can is smashed and you may have a cut or bruise.
......... with 25 pounds of force do the same motion with a hammer to your head.
The hammer is undamaged but you most likely will die.

Unless the entire frame work is as strong as the bumper you gain only bumper protection.
The rest remains the same.

Very true. But I would imagine the frame is much stronger than the existing bumper, were it not using the crush method. Meaning that I would still prefer a much better, much beefier bumper upgrade (like the OPs), thus protecting the occupants as well as the truck itself.
To a certain point,..
if plastic bumper collapses and absorbs energy from the frame the speed of the impact delegates frame damage.
if the never bend bumper does not collapse and does not absorb energy the frame receives 100% of the force.

So,... to a certain point.
The El Beef-O bumper will win all day in the mall parking lot,.... no doubt,.... to a point.

Physics are real,..
you can have small bones and huge muscles,..... the bones will still snap under extreme stress
you can have huge bones and small muscles,.... the muscles can only do so much,.... the bones will be fine.

To a certain point,..
if plastic bumper collapses and absorbs energy from the frame the speed of the impact delegates frame damage.
if the never bend bumper does not collapse and does not absorb energy the frame receives 100% of the force.

So,... to a certain point.
The El Beef-O bumper will win all day in the mall parking lot,.... no doubt,.... to a point.

Physics are real,..
you can have small bones and huge muscles,..... the bones will still snap under extreme stress
you can have huge bones and small muscles,.... the muscles can only do so much,.... the bones will be fine.
Ahh thats a good point, the frame will than take a lot of the impact potentially causing more costly damage. Hmmm

So,... strap a dead cow to your bumper and life is good!
Just a joke people.....

Ahh thats a good point, the frame will than take a lot of the impact potentially causing more costly damage. Hmmm
Yes ,... just like "grill guards"
some call them damage multipliers.

I live in an area where deer are prevalent killers of cars. The plastic bumpers in which you speak of on my truck in Northwestern Kansas you would be replacing the vehicle every week. I don't have that kind of money, to be replacing vehicles on a weekly basis.

So the beefier the bumper, the better.
Imagine having that plastic bumper off-roading or rock climbing out in the Sticks would you want to come back or would you like to stay there? There's two sides to the coin.

I live in an area where deer are prevalent killers of cars. The plastic bumpers in which you speak of on my truck in Northwestern Kansas you would be replacing the vehicle every week. I don't have that kind of money, to be replacing vehicles on a weekly basis.

So the beefier the bumper, the better.
Imagine having that plastic bumper off-roading or rock climbing out in the Sticks would you want to come back or would you like to stay there? There's two sides to the coin.
My brother lives in Montana and says the same.

Im brand new to Tacomas so pardon my ignorance…is this an add-on part to supplement the stock bumper/hitch?
They have it labeled as a Reinforcement Sub., Then there's 2 different variations. One has the hitch received and the other is plain. It might just be the 4 cyl and low models that don't have the tow package. Wonder if the non tow package ones have the plain bar or if it's just left open.

1702336356705.png

1702336965084.png

Part 6.
1702336641169.png

Basically closes off the end.
1702336724923.png

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lu8XIv0BSY

metal front bumper might not be better in a collision, but it would be the hot setup for deer and protesters.

The only issue with these aftermarket bumpers is that it directly transfers all the collision energy to the frame. Greater chance of frame damage on a wreck with the crumple zones built into the frame.

Back