• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

I changed all oils (engine, trans, transfer, diff) and my MPG went way up

Good deal! How many miles since last changed?
I know it does make a difference.

Good deal! How many miles since last changed?
I know it does make a difference.
The transmission was like 100,000 miles - it was the first one ever. The transfer might've been the first or second one ever. The diffs, I don't remember, but I have done the diffs like 3 or 4 times total.

That's rad. What fluids did you grab? I was looking to go with Redline everything for mine when the time comes.

I normally do a drain and refill on the trans every 30k on all my vehicles.

30k is a good number, Redline is on my shelf as well.
I have the MT so its 30K on everything just to keep it simple.

I follow the odometer... it makes it simple,
Every 5K engine oil,.. every 30K everything.,..... Every 6 oil changes its a full service (30-60-90-120 ect.)
No log required (y)

I just hit 30K and will be doing this (drain and fill) over the weekend. I got this to help:

Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench​

POWERWORKS Oil Filter Drain Tool Oil Filter Release Hose Tube​

Last edited:
I bought new an 86 Toyota 2WD X-Cab SR5 5-speed w/22RE. Now today, 37 years and 483,000 miles later it is still my only driver. Fluid changes are essential.

My oil change after a 500 then 1000 mile break oil changes is to change the oil/filter every 5000 miles. I use to use OEM filters but now use a Purolator One (10,000 mile rated for better particulate filtering) and Castrol GTX 10W-40 in SE VA temp ranges. Yes, dino oil works fine in the older work horse 22REs. Hard to find now, but Home Depot has it at times so I stock up. The truck burns less oil between changes than I can see move on the dip stick.

I change my transmission and differential every 100,000. I do use synthetic now. No whine noise in either.

What was in there before? Honey? that seems like a big improvement for just changing fluds. how many tanks did you average that over?

-M

Did you use the genuine Toyota recommended LF 75W special oil for transfer case? It's about $80 for one quart.

Did you use the genuine Toyota recommended LF 75W special oil for transfer case? It's about $80 for one quart.
Redline MT-LV is preferred and much cheaper and easier to get. I'll be putting it in mine when it's needed. Have been running it in my tC's transmission for years which calls for the same fluid as the transfer case on these trucks and it's great stuff. 👌🏻

I call BS to the milage improvement from a fuel change unless your engine, trade, diffs and trans were filled with sand.
If it did, manufacturers would do it, the epa would require you to bring it in to use special fluid every x miles....simply not true.
My 9,600lb 2021 6.7 F450 gets 28mpg.....
When I let off and coast from 65mph....
But hey everyone, my F450 gets 28mpg...look at me.

Back