• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Hum/grinding sound when applying gas at highway speeds

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
So this has been an ongoing issue and I’m honestly stumped at this point. I only notice it at highway speeds between 50-80. Basically I’ll be going along and I’ll come off the gas and coast, but right when I start to apply the gas again I’ll hear and feel a slight hum and almost light grind sound from what seems like right under me. Sounds almost like two gears trying to mesh together again. And I can manipulate the sound repeatedly by playing with the gas pedal in and out. It doesn’t happen every time I apply the gas but it happens quit often. I am regeared and just had the rear diff rebuilt again and the sound is still present and exactly the same. Changed the fluid after break in and the fluid looked normal. I almost don’t think it’s a diff problem. I saw the gear pattern from this build and it looked solid. Thinking it’s something with the driveshaft maybe? The angle of the driveshaft/pinion doesn’t seem crazy and I measured the angles and they look to be within spec if i did it right lol (first time learning how to do that). If anyone has any ideas or has had a similar experience I’m all ears.

I get something similar when I decel through the mid to low 60’s sometimes. I believe mine comes from the fact that I tend to have my leaf packs under loaded which causes the rear driveshaft angle to be off by a degree or two. When I have some weight in the bed it goes away. Not sure if that’s applicable for you but sounds similar to my problem. I was going to say the needle bearing but yours is already swapped.

Upvote 0
I get something similar when I decel through the mid to low 60’s sometimes. I believe mine comes from the fact that I tend to have my leaf packs under loaded which causes the rear driveshaft angle to be off by a degree or two. When I have some weight in the bed it goes away. Not sure if that’s applicable for you but sounds similar to my problem. I was going to say the needle bearing but yours is already swapped.
Guess I could try loading the bed up with weight for shits and giggles. Also thought about bringing it to a dedicated drivetrain shop to see what they say

Upvote 0
Guess I could try loading the bed up with weight for shits and giggles. Also thought about bringing it to a dedicated drivetrain shop to see what they say
Couldn’t hurt. Driveshaft angles make sense in the videos then the second the angle finder goes on the truck I’m lost again.

Upvote 0
Anyone else with any ideas before I get it into a shop? Could the wear pattern on the gears change drastically after breakin? Enough to cause issues?

Upvote 0
I wish it was something that dumb lol. I’m just hoping it’s not something transmission or diff wise lol
I have a similar sound at the moment, but mine occurs when the truck is coasting at speed. Im guessing its more than likely a loose bolt or bad bearing

Let us know what you find out!

Upvote 0
I have a similar sound at the moment, but mine occurs when the truck is coasting at speed. Im guessing its more than likely a loose bolt or bad bearing

Let us know what you find out!
You might be able to figure yours out by putting it on a lift and in drive and hunt the sound down that way. Could just be a u joint or carrier bearing. Hopefully something simple lol

Upvote 0
Mine does the same thing and gets louder the faster I go over 70. I could've sworn it was the from under the hood for the longest time like the intake or something. Once I removed the plastic cubbies behind the back seat for more storage it was very apparent it was the rear diff. Im also regeared and ECGS has on their website a howl is not uncommon. Sound deadening, putting the plastic back, and turning up the radio fixed it for me.

Upvote 0
Try greasing the u joints. Check for wear. My OME lift came with drive line drop so I'm not getting any noise. Might try that as it's cheap and easy to install.

-M

Upvote 0
Mine does the same thing and gets louder the faster I go over 70. I could've sworn it was the from under the hood for the longest time like the intake or something. Once I removed the plastic cubbies behind the back seat for more storage it was very apparent it was the rear diff. Im also regeared and ECGS has on their website a howl is not uncommon. Sound deadening, putting the plastic back, and turning up the radio fixed it for me.
I have the 40% delete so I’m used to some extra noise. And I understand gears make a whining or humming kind of sound to an extend. This sound doesn’t sound like a regular gear whine. I think I can feel it with my foot more than I can hear it as well. Not saying it couldn’t still be the rear diff though.
Try greasing the u joints. Check for wear. My OME lift came with drive line drop so I'm not getting any noise. Might try that as it's cheap and easy to install.

-M
My rear drive shaft doesn’t have greasable ujoints. Only the front shaft does. And I just greased those. I also checked for play in the joints and carrier bearing. I have thought about trying a carrier bearing drop. But I think I would rather take it to a drive shaft shop first and have them measure the drive shaft angle and pinion angle and make sure everything is aligned properly. If it’s off then I can go from there with a drop or axle shims. I’m thinking it’s something more mechanical than that though

Upvote 0
Check the carrier bearing for play.
I set the truck in neutral and tried checking the drive shaft for play but felt nothing around any u joints or the carrier bearing. I could unbolt the carrier I guess and see if I feel anything then. The carrier bearing was replaced about 15k miles ago though so I can’t imagine it’s already bad

Upvote 0
Back