• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How often you will need a wheel alignment?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Every 6,000 miles! Is the recommendation! By Professional mechanic’s. ….Um I wonder how wheel alignment shops are involved? Lol
They say every oil change for those who change at 6,000 miles …this is best times for wheel alignment..

I find this a bit hard to believe? Off course putting new tires is a good idea…when tires are getting worn out too. But every 6,000 miles…? Also if you see your tire wearing unevenly…a wheel alignment is a good idea..

I was surprised to find those “stats”…. I think a few wheel alignment shops like Firestone offers lifetime wheel alignments, My local tire shop offers a 6 month plans only…

How many of you , do the every 6,000 mile wheel alignment….nice thing about straight front axles , just toe in or out…simple…
Aloha,

I have around 42,000 miles and haven’t had an alignment. Truck drives straight as an arrow so never bothered to get it done.

56k miles an the only alignment was after lift and tires at around 1k miles. If it tracks straight and you have normal tire wear your good.

Question if the Pro mechanic’s are saying wheel alignment every 6,000 miles …does this mean our vehicles are design that “BAD”…? And requires that much maintenance?

Yes if you off road a lot ,hit hard trails…bad highway roads, maybe a wheel alignment more often after 24, 000 plus miles or more…. Well in less then 6 months from now (April) my 6 month wheel alignment deal expires…I can go anytime up to the end of six months…. I will let you know if my wheel alignment had change….I drive off road every day…( live on a coffee land with dirt and rocky roads, on a hill side)…
Aloha

Sounds like someone might be trying to scam you. I’ve never had a car that needed an alignment every 6000 miles.

Just google ..how often you need wheel alignment…I too was surprised by the recommendations…
Most of my pass vehicles…maybe lucky got one or two wheel alignments in the many years of ownership..
My Toyota 2001 Toyota Corolla ( maybe 2nd or third owner) over 10 years now…NEVER got a wheel alignment..replace tires several times and the tire worn out correctly…

So WHY? Every 6,000 miles? If you need this often…maybe a bad car ?
Aloha

I got a lifetime of yearly alignments from my dealer for around $180

A life time of a yearly warranty ($180.00) for wheel alignment is a “SUPER” deal…!.
Especially if you go off roading …if you only do highway driving, the need for a yearly wheel alignment may not be needed as much…
When you see those videos of the off roaders with cameras mounted underside…amazing the pounding those vehicles go thru….
Aloha

A life time of a yearly warranty ($180.00) for wheel alignment is a “SUPER” deal…!.
Especially if you go off roading …if you only do highway driving, the need for a yearly wheel alignment may not be needed as much…
When you see those videos of the off roaders with cameras mounted underside…amazing the pounding those vehicles go thru….
Aloha
While this sounds like a great idea, idk that I'd trust my dealership with a lifted truck lift. There are a couple shops around my area that deal mostly in lifted vehicles (mostly Jeeps), I feel going there they would have a better idea of how an alignment would/should be set up.

Once I finally lift, I'll definitely be taking it to them.

EDIT: if I had planned on keeping it stock, I'd probably go to Toyota or Firestone for the deal noted above. I've purchased lifetime alignments before. I used it heavily when I had my CRV. Always seemed some suspension component was getting worn out after replacing another worn out component. Took it probably 10 times in a year span.

Last edited:
There are a couple of privately own shops that offer wheel alignment…that is where we go…never to the Toyota dealer…
The shop we go to ,also sells SPC upper control arms and do lifts for trucks…there main business is selling Tires…
Aloha

Do you have a Firestone Complete Auto Care near you?
Definitely worth checking out. I assume the folks in Hawaii are nicer than where I'm at.

$189.99-$199.99 for lifetime alignment of the vehicle. They will check/align as needed or every 6 months.
There is also a $20 coupon on their site for the Lifetime Alignment. I'd say it's definitely worth it. Just 2 alignments and you already save money.
I paid $186. I've had 3-4 alignments done in the first 2 years. Each being $100-$140 each. Not going by the 6 months thing. But because lifted the truck and crappy roads.

I believe for the 6 months, it's recommended to get an alignment check. Doesn't mean you need to have the actual alignment done. Some places offer that for free.

Also always ask if the shop aligns by your truck itself. Not just dialing in the alignment setting defaults from factory. Some places use a machine and will dial in your alignment to factory specs. These are sent out in updates to their alignment computer. You'd be surprised at how dumb some shops can be.

Last edited:
Thank you….We do have a Firestone shop…that might be better in the long run …to have a lifetime wheel alignment …the company that I went too ,offers only a six month ..anytime wheel alignment..

Since I drive off road every day…& having a life time wheel alignment maybe the next best thing for my 2019 Tacoma…
Aloha

Thank you….We do have a Firestone shop…that might be better in the long run …to have a lifetime wheel alignment …the company that I went too ,offers only a six month ..anytime wheel alignment..

Since I drive off road every day…& having a life time wheel alignment maybe the next best thing for my 2019 Tacoma…
Aloha

Thank you for providing the $20 coupon offer good till January 31, 2022.
Firestone does 9,000 wheel alignments a day…With life time …covers you for 6 months or every 6,000 miles..
But “some” Firestone companies will NOT cover lifted or lower vehicles? Mines is lifted..2.5 inches
If you have two wheel alignments …this cost would be same as a lifetime wheel alignment deal.

Some car companies say maybe ever two years…new tires ..many times do not require wheel alignment…if you see no uneven ware..this too may not require every six months or 6,000 miles..

Still a lifetime wheel alignment is a good deal…. Next to call our local Firestone dealer to see if they will accept a lifted Tacoma ?

Next find the $$$ ( money)…lol
Aloha

Thank you for providing the $20 coupon offer good till January 31, 2022.
Firestone does 9,000 wheel alignments a day…With life time …covers you for 6 months or every 6,000 miles..
But “some” Firestone companies will NOT cover lifted or lower vehicles? Mines is lifted..2.5 inches
If you have two wheel alignments …this cost would be same as a lifetime wheel alignment deal.

Some car companies say maybe ever two years…new tires ..many times do not require wheel alignment…if you see no uneven ware..this too may not require every six months or 6,000 miles..

Still a lifetime wheel alignment is a good deal…. Next to call our local Firestone dealer to see if they will accept a lifted Tacoma ?

Next find the $$$ ( money)…lol
Aloha

Don't even say it's lifted. I've found that when you mention it's lifted over the phone they'll deny it.
But if you just show up with it, they just do it. Just say it's a Tacoma.

Ok….There we’re a post that mention, some Firestone dealers will not offer a lifetime wheel alignment for lifted vehicles? maybe just a few Firestone franchises dealers..that will NOT offer a lifetime warranty? I do not know? Just posting what was mention?..
Just be aware….and .. Why would anyone turn down a customer willing to purchase a lifetime warranty? There are restrictions…
Aloha,

Recommended at least once every 6 months. If you know how to read tire wear, you can adjust from there. Obviously every time you get new tires or suspension components you should do an alignment. Cheers!

Attachments

• DC6886DE-36CB-4EFA-AD8B-9FEBFEB1C260.jpeg
    DC6886DE-36CB-4EFA-AD8B-9FEBFEB1C260.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 43
Back