• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How do y'all wash your trucks? Carwash or hand wash? šŸ‘€

Take it to the car wash, spray a ton of soap on it, use their brush and wipe it all off, rinse and leaveee.

I know that triggers some folks out there lol
Haha I think the brush is what people will cringe at šŸ˜‚

You off road your truck so hard that I understand the quick & dirty wash method lol

Take it to the car wash, spray a ton of soap on it, use their brush and wipe it all off, rinse and leaveee.

I know that triggers some folks out there lol
After watching some one scrub off 1/4 inch of dirt and rock off his truck (no water just straight to the brush) then his little boy using the brush to clean the bay floor I've never used those on paint. Wheels, tires, bed, tent cover and cab rack get the brush.

I go to a car wash, use the foam, while that loosens everything up I fill my own bucket with soap, hit the truck with high pressure soap. Then hand clean, wipe down with a ceramic wax hybrid, rinse that with the high pressure wax and hand dry. Then the interior and tire shine.

Takes about 2 hours so I usually go after 9pm.

After watching some one scrub off 1/4 inch of dirt and rock off his truck (no water just straight to the brush) then his little boy using the brush to clean the bay floor I've never used those on paint. Wheels, tires, bed, tent cover and cab rack get the brush.

I go to a car wash, use the foam, while that loosens everything up I fill my own bucket with soap, hit the truck with high pressure soap. Then hand clean, wipe down with a ceramic wax hybrid, rinse that with the high pressure wax and hand dry. Then the interior and tire shine.

Lol oh gosh I can only imagine what else those brushes go through

Solid process though. I'd love to have the high pressure soap. Would have made this wash a lot easier!

Haha I think the brush is what people will cringe at šŸ˜‚

You off road your truck so hard that I understand the quick & dirty wash method lol

Haha it gets the mud/ dirt off so Iā€™m happy. I typically do a paint correct/ buff once or twice a year so I donā€™t mind. It gets pin stripes every time I go out anyway.

oh I know the brushes are abused and can cause paint damage but the truck gets pin stripes so much itā€™s not much different. Iā€™ll buff it/ paint correct it once or twice a year.

Iā€™ll wash it at home until it starts getting a bunch of pin stripes then itā€™s right to the self wash bays lol

Haha it gets the mud/ dirt off so Iā€™m happy. I typically do a paint correct/ buff once or twice a year so I donā€™t mind. It gets pin stripes every time I go out anyway.
I haven't done any paint correction yet. I feel like the MGM hides it really well because of the shimmer of it.
Kind of an eye trick, you have to look twice to see the scratch lol

Donā€™t want to perform paint correction too much, youā€™ll eventually thin out the clear coat causing it to fail

I haven't done any paint correction yet. I feel like the MGM hides it really well because of the shimmer of it.
Kind of an eye trick, you have to look twice to see the scratch lol

All metallic paints will hide imperfections a little easier šŸ‘šŸ»

Honestly, best answer in here.

I think I wash the truck maybe once a month lol. Thereā€™s so much dust and sand in the air where Iā€™m at itā€™s almost pointless for a weekly wash lol. I like to hand wash but if Iā€™m in a pinch or just want a quick cleanup then the automated car wash it is. I have some paint chips I need to fix though so I havenā€™t use the automated car wash in a while. Once I fix the paint chips Iā€™ll probably only hand wash and work on paint correction and wrapping the roof. I also want to get a spotless water filtration system so I have nice clean water

After a trip I hit a self service car wash to clean all the mud off the under carriage because I donā€™t want to have to power wash all that dirt off my driveway. Then I go home and clean the rest off with my power washer.

Think once/ twice a year is too much? Honestly asking

For paint correction, absolutely. You want to perform paint correction as little as possible. In doing so, youā€™re actually removing clear coat. Youā€™ve only got 1-2 mills to work with so you want to perform correction as little as possible - especially not more than twice with the harder compounding required to remove heavier pin striping.

If I ever have to perform heavy compounding on my truck I will follow it up with a full PPF install to avoid having to do it ever again.

This is my quick wash routine. I typically don't worry too much about the paint as pinstripes are a regular occurrence when off roading, but I do love to see her shine.

Original link: https://youtu.be/VW-TibETuyw
Good vid, I think I need to up my cleaning game! I typically wash by hand using a garden hose, but enjoy hitting the self service car washes to use their pressure washers when I don't want to spend as much time washing.

For paint correction, absolutely. You want to perform paint correction as little as possible. In doing so, youā€™re actually removing clear coat. Youā€™ve only got 1-2 mills to work with so you want to perform correction as little as possible - especially not more than twice with the harder compounding required to remove heavier pin striping.

If I ever have to perform heavy compounding on my truck I will follow it up with a full PPF install to avoid having to do it ever again.

Gotcha, thanks for the advice. Honestly if I didnā€™t have a hundred things to do Iā€™d just have the truck wrapped, I get tired of the paint lol

After a trip I hit a self service car wash to clean all the mud off the under carriage because I donā€™t want to have to power wash all that dirt off my driveway. Then I go home and clean the rest off with my power washer.
I do the muddy washing in the backyard haha did it in the driveway once & never again

Good vid, I think I need to up my cleaning game! I typically wash by hand using a garden hose, but enjoy hitting the self service car washes to use their pressure washers when I don't want to spend as much time washing.
Thanks! Yeah for me a hose won't do much to the mud haha need that water pressure

Back