• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help .. Rear brakes locking up..

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Driving on a dirt road , I made a sharp turn ..my rear brakes lock up…put in reverse…it release the rear brakes…..20 minutes later drove to a gas station to fill up the gas…I was in park. When done…I started the truck….put in drive , the rear brakes lock up…put in reverse and it free the rear brakes..
On Monday I will call the dealer for a appointment (2019 Tacoma TRD Off road.. lifted 2.5 inch, 32 inch tires, )

Please anyone may know what is going on? How can we fix this? Started about a year ago…happen only two times. Months ago…
Today it happen multiple times this morning….getting difficult to keep driving not knowing when it will happen again..

It started I believe the day before..I test my crawl control on a down hill descent…went well…perform perfectly…next day the problem of rear brakes stared locking up …now happening more often…
A bit scary…for sure…. Not sure if I should drive on the highways?
Aloha
2019 TRD Off Road LB auto w/ camper..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok it is Monday …I will call Toyota for a appointment…my rear brakes still locking up…
I try lifting my hand brake 50 times , on & off…thinking I may free it….Nope …still locks up..

I found another way to lock the rear brakes Put in park with hand brakes on..…then shifted to drive with hand brakes still on…press gas..to try to move forward..then release the hand brakes…my rear brakes LOCK-UP…after releasing the hand brakes…had to reverse to free the E-brakes..
In the pass I accidentally forgot to release the hand brakes after shifting into drive …once release ..able to drive normally…not any more.. no tech release from Toyota corporations…yet..

There is another web site …I was surprised to read , how many others had this problem…mainly after a car wash ..they would park…later on , try to drive and rear brakes would lock up…freezing weather can cause this problem too…years up to 2021…

No real solutions…everyone says to open drum brakes…or hammer the drums to free?
One solution that was mention , E- brake cable are made of aluminum, corrodes to moisture…( possible water leak into drum brakes.. dealer recommended replace the E- cable…that person was quoted $1,800 dollars…he pass …

I will let know after dealing with my local Toyota dealer…
Aloha,

My Gecio insurance offers one free tow a year…at least one good thing..

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the Toyota dealer…my appointment is next week Wednesday..Jan 19, 2021 ….if there is any other cancellations…they will call me…. Any vehicle tow can arrive one day early…

Also $140.00 diagnostic charge…a quote to replace the E- brake cables, and oil change…
Not sure cost of repairs if not the E-cables?
Aloha

I am sure Toyota must be aware of the aluminum brake cables are causing problems?
Aloha

Have you tried pulling off the wheel and inspecting the drum? Drum brakes are pretty simple, so that's the first thing that I would suggest. Could be that you have a funky or broken return spring, or something getting wedged in it, or something like that. There aren't a whole lot of intricate pieces in the drum brake system. Pretty straightforward and simple stuff. You can rebuild the whole brake in about 15 minutes if you know what you're doing and nothing goes wrong. Better to allot an hour or so, if you're new to drum brakes.

Sorry ..drum brakes is something I wish not to get involved with…I will have the local Toyota dealer look at it..
Found out..need to check Retainer springs , anchor springs, adjustable lever springs, & the shoe hole down springs..
Also found out when lifting the Tacoma..need to re-adjust the e-brake cables, and be careful not to create kinks..
Also found out ..one possible solution is to replace the E-brake cables in the rear…( one person found it work for him)
I am leaving helpful notes for the mechanic…
Most likely I will have both E-brakes cable replaced…
My Tacoma will be on a “break” ..till the “brakes” gets fix..
Aloha

Ok …I am still having problems…I see the dealer tomorrow for a appointment for my brakes..

After searching “Does drum brakes get lock up after a car wash”. It seems this is a common problem for ALL drum brakes….it get’s wet and form rust…thus making the brakes stick…can happen to rotor brakes too
They say after moving it removes the rust….
If you wash the car…let it remain park, rust will form…..? Not sure WHY it does not happen after it rains…maybe brakes are still hot and dries the moisture?
Aloha

This morning three times it felt like the brakes lock up. Drove to the dealer, mechanic and I drove to the find a dirt road, I tried to see if I could cause the locking brakes….nothing !

He thinks the front and rear driveshafts fighting each other? Usually when you make turn in 4-wheel drive, but it happens even when I drive straight in front. I am in 4-H.

Mechanic said when in 4-H press the VSC button (turns off anti-slip), let’s she if this happens again.
Aloha

Back