• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

GMC Hummer EV revealed. $112k starting price.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I guess GMC just revealed the electric Hummer. Starts at $112k. Who is preordering?

1603247808098.jpeg

dude I just saw the JRE video and it's got some amazing tech and capability built right into it. I sort of don't like how it looks, I've never been a fan of hummers but this out of the box capability is pretty amazing. I like this because it means everyone else is going to soon be competing in this new transition class while everything moves to electric power. I'm picturing something similar but Tacoma size and badge with similar tech. That makes me excited. I used to hate electric cars. I was living in the bay area when the first tesla roadster prototype was being tested on the highway and it started to change my mind, but I still wasn't the biggest fan. Since then, all the tech and capability (not just from Tesla) has me feeling pretty good about the future of EV and my opinion has certainly changed... maybe not all the way to an bill of sale, but I like it.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrnNTyOAes

My dad has a Tesla Model 3 and it is so much fun to drive. We took it on a long road trip once and it definitely takes away mental exhaustion of highway driving for a longgg time since you can just throw it into autopilot. The only downside is we had to stop every 3 hours or so to recharge and that took close to an hour every time. Sometimes we would get to the charging station with less than 10 miles left on the charge. That was super nerve-racking because we had to make sure we didn't miss the exit or we might be screwed to turn around and make it back to the charging station.

I prefaced with that story because I think if they can exceed the 350 mile range to 500-600 miles, I'd have one in my garage. You'd be able to drive it much further distances and worry less about how much charge you have left by the time you get to your destination. I'm a fan of electric cars and I'm with @midnight20pro on the size of the vehicles for future off-road style EVs. The Hummer EV is just too big for me.

Yeah the range anxiety for me is still something that would likely worry me and charge time is not the same as just a quick fill up so it definitely changes the concept of road trips. In the near future we should have more than one option. The Rivian looks pretty sweet but same issue, stills needs to charge. I think they have some roadside assistance type program where like triple A they show up with a giant battery cell on wheels and charge you up in an hour to two hours but that's still pretty valuable time. I think when batteries become hot swappable, so you can just pull over, swap batteries at a station and ride off, things will get way cooler. Motorcycles, small vehicles, big trucks all with the ability to just drop batteries off and swap in new ones will be a game changer.

A friend of mine was working with Honda at Stanford when they were working on EV's. The two issues they needed to solve at the time was some kind of audible feedback of an accelerator because they were so quiet the drivers almost have no concept of how much force is being applied. So they had to come up with various engineered tones to give driver feedback. The second problem they were trying to at least brainstorm was battery / range anxiety especially since Tesla didn't have charging stations built yet so the infrastructure was still previous generation. Ultimately the range anxiety doesn't go away unless you solve it... and though you can give driver feedback on their driving performance to maybe encourage slower speed / less wind resistance and extended range.... it still doesn't solve it all. But that was then and this new era is getting cool.

I think big strides are taking place again in the hydrogen fuel cell technology which could work will with ev's. You could have a hydrogen generator onboard to make onboard power and charge batteries while only emitting water vapor as exhaust.

Either way, I think we're going to see very rapid progress here. Japan, France and Germany all made commitments to abandon internal combustion engines so all the new R&D money is going in this direction now. Going to be cool to see what comes out in the next ten years.

dude I just saw the JRE video and it's got some amazing tech and capability built right into it. I sort of don't like how it looks, I've never been a fan of hummers but this out of the box capability is pretty amazing. I like this because it means everyone else is going to soon be competing in this new transition class while everything moves to electric power. I'm picturing something similar but Tacoma size and badge with similar tech. That makes me excited. I used to hate electric cars. I was living in the bay area when the first tesla roadster prototype was being tested on the highway and it started to change my mind, but I still wasn't the biggest fan. Since then, all the tech and capability (not just from Tesla) has me feeling pretty good about the future of EV and my opinion has certainly changed... maybe not all the way to an bill of sale, but I like it.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrnNTyOAes
Yeah, this thing has a lot of impressive technology in it and seems like it set the bar pretty high for the future of vehicles.

I also think it's cool that trucks are getting a lot of love lately. Doesn't seem like unique cars have been in the spotlight as much as trucks have. We've had a lot of big deal trucks over the last few years:

Jeep Gladiator
Jeep diesel engine
Cybertruck
Rivian electric truck and SUV
Ford Bronco
Hummer EV

Couldn't agree with you more, can't wait to see what's next.

Back