• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ghost beltless passenger

fourgotten

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
morelinfo.com
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
So, it seems that if my passenger gets out (or my dog gets in and out) of the front seat, my '18 doesn't pick up on that fact and irritatingly tries to warn me that their belt is unhooked.

Does this happen to others? I am wondering if the seat cover might be partially to blame, or if this is just a Taco thing.

When my 80lb dog sits in the front passenger seat without a seatbelt, my warning bell sounds off for a while and eventually quits. Then periodically repeats this cycle. However, as soon as he gets out, the alarm cycle quits. I’ve never had it do this after he (or a passenger) get out.

How much does your passenger and dog weigh? Perhaps the sensor isn’t noticing the difference between them in the seat vs. not in the seat???

When my 80lb dog sits in the front passenger seat without a seatbelt, my warning bell sounds off for a while and eventually quits. Then periodically repeats this cycle. However, as soon as he gets out, the alarm cycle quits. I’ve never had it do this after he (or a passenger) get out.

How much does your passenger and dog weigh? Perhaps the sensor isn’t noticing the difference between them in the seat vs. not in the seat???
The dingo in question is 28 lbs and the human is much larger.

But even with the dog, it didn't figure it out.

Since you don't have this issue, I will assume that it is an issue with how I installed the seat cover. I'll unhook those elastic hooks underneath and see if that changes the behavior.

I've "heard" that the dealer can turn this off. May explain, and they might turn the dinger off. If not, find someone with a Carista and they can.

For $10 and a bluetooth ODB2 adapter (you can borrow mine) you can use Carista for a month and turn all that stuff on an off. I turned off the dinging bell for the drivers side when the seatbelt isn't buckled. That was pretty much the only setting I changed though.

For $10 and a bluetooth ODB2 adapter (you can borrow mine) you can use Carista for a month and turn all that stuff on an off. I turned off the dinging bell for the drivers side when the seatbelt isn't buckled. That was pretty much the only setting I changed though.

Can also use Techstream. Look up tonered's posts. He has an entire guide on install.

You can also download the Carista beta .apk if you search for it. Avoid paying all together. :)

I have a BT ODBII adapter.... dunno that I really want to turn it off, though I don't suppose there is any reason to keep it, as we are seatbelt wearers.

I just want it to realize that the seat is vacated.

I'll probably just kill it, though.

Back