• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Gen 3 TRD Sport - Minimum suspension mods for slide-in camper?

Maddog

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hi folks am new here. I have a '23 Taco TRD Sport on order as well as a FWC Swift camper (935# dry weight). Truck has double cab short 5' bed (only reason don't have 6' bed is garage isn't long enough and need to garage it for deep snow winters here). Would like to know what minimum suspension or even tire mods will be needed to carry that camper. FWC site has videos recommending heavier leaf springs, tires and even airbags but not any brands recommended, also I have read other don't even bother with mods at all for this truck. 10% of use will be with camper loaded, 90% for regular day-to-day driving so don't want to go too crazy with stiffening the rear to make smooth roads harsh (also wife hates lifted look). When camping will rarely if ever do extreme terrain or offroading, gravel and paved roads mainly. So am basically looking for minimum mods to make the truck and camper combo be safe and handle OK for most camping but not affect ride or height much when not camping. Thanks for any help on this.

Am pretty decent mechanic so can do mods myself.

Also anyone have a suggestion for a bumper-mounted rear camera that's compatible with the existing harness , will need one when the tailgate is removed.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Anyone out there not have the same goal to minimize suspension mods to Tacoma for carrying a slide-in camper? Maybe it's just not possible? Let me rephrase the goal: the truck will be used both for day to day use and carrying camper. Don't want a jacked-up rear end or a stiff ride when not using with camper. Don't want to sag, sag, sway, or bounce everywhere when using camper. Sounds too good to be true doesn't it. What have others done? Like I said I got the spiel from the camper dealer but I'm not convinced I need to do everything they say. Call me a skeptic.

Air bags will be a good idea you just pump them up when you have the camper on.

Their site shows that as being ~800lbs, but in order to have the truck still comfortable when unloaded, bags are probably your best option. You can live with stiffer shocks/upgraded bump stops, but to carry an extra 800lbs in the bed you'd need some seriously beefy leaf packs. They will make the unloaded ride quality absolutely garbage though. Best bet would be to put some beefy bags back there and upgrade the shocks all around, might want to look into upgrading the leaf spring hangers as well. I'm unsure on tires you're running and how they will do with the weight as it will vary based on tire, but wouldn't hurt to move up to a c-load rating as well as a bigger tire for some increased air volume and pressure capacity that can support the load better.

Air bags with Daystar cradles.

Thanks again all. just got another foot of snow now we're up to about 3' so far - happening way too early.

My 2022 Dbl Cab Sr5 has a 990 pound cargo capacity, based upon the plate in the driver's door jamb. If the dry weight of the camper is 935 pounds, by the time you add stabilizer jacks, passengers, water, food, pots & pans, propane, clothing, gear, and any options that are not part of the dry weight, you will be well over the max cargo capacity of the truck. You can add all the suspension goodies that you want, but those will not beef up the frame, the drivetrain, the cooling system, or the brakes. See attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-08 143935.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 143935.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 74
My 2022 Dbl Cab Sr5 has a 990 pound cargo capacity, based upon the plate in the driver's door jamb. If the dry weight of the camper is 935 pounds, by the time you add stabilizer jacks, passengers, water, food, pots & pans, propane, clothing, gear, and any options that are not part of the dry weight, you will be well over the max cargo capacity of the truck. You can add all the suspension goodies that you want, but those will not beef up the frame, the drivetrain, the cooling system, or the brakes. See attached

According to Toyotas website, a 2023 v6 4x4 5 foot bed has a payload capacity of 1155. Not saying you’re wrong for what your truck says lol. Just thought I’d add what Toyotas website says

Hi folks am new here. I have a '23 Taco TRD Sport on order as well as a FWC Swift camper (935# dry weight). Truck has double cab short 5' bed (only reason don't have 6' bed is garage isn't long enough and need to garage it for deep snow winters here). Would like to know what minimum suspension or even tire mods will be needed to carry that camper. FWC site has videos recommending heavier leaf springs, tires and even airbags but not any brands recommended, also I have read other don't even bother with mods at all for this truck. 10% of use will be with camper loaded, 90% for regular day-to-day driving so don't want to go too crazy with stiffening the rear to make smooth roads harsh (also wife hates lifted look). When camping will rarely if ever do extreme terrain or offroading, gravel and paved roads mainly. So am basically looking for minimum mods to make the truck and camper combo be safe and handle OK for most camping but not affect ride or height much when not camping. Thanks for any help on this.

Am pretty decent mechanic so can do mods myself.

Also anyone have a suggestion for a bumper-mounted rear camera that's compatible with the existing harness , will need one when the tailgate is removed.

Cheers!

With a 935 dry weight I would look into boxing the frame, maybe an add a leaf and air bag setup. For tires I would go with some falken wildpeak at3w in at least a C rating. That’s a lot of constant weight for these trucks. You’ll need to make sure you reinforce properly. Another major thing is brakes. You might not need a big brake system but upgraded pads and rotors would help

According to Toyotas website, a 2023 v6 4x4 5 foot bed has a payload capacity of 1155. Not saying you’re wrong for what your truck says lol. Just thought I’d add what Toyotas website says

With a 935 dry weight I would look into boxing the frame, maybe an add a leaf and air bag setup. For tires I would go with some falken wildpeak at3w in at least a C rating. That’s a lot of constant weight for these trucks. You’ll need to make sure you reinforce properly. Another major thing is brakes. You might not need a big brake system but upgraded pads and rotors would help
Well, they say that you should always believe what you read on the internet, especially when it comes from somebody who is trying to sell you something. Even if they upgraded from 2022 to 2023, that extra 165 lbs is still likely not enough to keep you from overloading

Well, they say that you should always believe what you read on the internet, especially when it comes from somebody who is trying to sell you something. Even if they upgraded from 2022 to 2023, that extra 165 lbs is still likely not enough to keep you from overloading
Oh I don’t disagree. It’s a lot of weight for these trucks

By they you mean Abe. The honest type.

1673295174135.jpeg

Back