Gears Grinding Violently

• Hello, visitor! Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a resource for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma owners.

Tacoma3G is a friendly community dedicated to 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and Overland Enthusiasts. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

TacoDee

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Clarence
T3G Member
#7,907
I'm a rookie on this forum. I purchase a brand new 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. I drove it to San Francisco to attend a function. I was stopped at a red light intersection with the vehicle on an incline street. If anybody been to San Francisco, it so hilly. With my foot on the brake, the light turned green, and as I let off the brake, the vehicle started rolling down, and I heard the gears violently grinding - enough to hear couple of gears or tooth damage. So, I applied the brakes to stop rolling down. I switch to my left foot to apply the brake and the right foot to give it some gas to help not rolling down and was able to turn right onto a flat street. That killed my day to tour the city. Tried to avoid incline hills to go home. So!! What went on? I was able to drive home with no transmission issues. Going to take it to the dealership have it checked out.

UploadAdventure

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cavalry Blue
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,074
It’s the hill climb feature. If you start rolling backwards or don’t give it enough gas it modulates the ABS system and will even go as far as killing the engine.

Just give it a bit of gas and you won’t have any issues.

NMBruce

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#7,007
Find a small hill or big one and try you crawl control and see if sounds the same, I am thinking it will

TacoDee

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Clarence
T3G Member
#7,907
It’s the hill climb feature. If you start rolling backwards or don’t give it enough gas it modulates the ABS system and will even go as far as killing the engine.

Just give it a bit of gas and you won’t have any issues.
Thanks for your response. Isn't the hill climb feature suppose to hold the vehicle in place once it senses the rolling down before giving the gas? I'm worried now that I think some of the gears are damage and lessens the life span of the gears.

TacoDee

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Clarence
T3G Member
#7,907
Find a small hill or big one and try you crawl control and see if sounds the same, I am thinking it will
Thanks for your response. Haven't tried the crawl control yet, it's new to me. But, I will try it out

UploadAdventure

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cavalry Blue
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,074
Thanks for your response. Isn't the hill climb feature suppose to hold the vehicle in place once it senses the rolling down before giving the gas? I'm worried now that I think some of the gears are damage and lessens the life span of the gears.
It doesn’t will hold the vehicle. Unless it senses throttle input. If the throttle input is less than what the engine can move the truck it’ll roll backward and the abs will modulate and that’s the sound you’re hearing more than likely. I still suggest giving it some more skinny pedal.

NMBruce

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#7,007
Any new information yet?

TacoDee

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Clarence
T3G Member
#7,907
I work out of state with my company's vehicle for a month. When I return, will take my truck off-road and do more test, and provide results.

Top Bottom