• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Gas mileage—24?!?!?

Biohazard

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Pro DCSB Auto
White
So I keep reading 20+ mpgs from random guys on the forum. Kudos to you guys. But I just drove about 200 miles at 55-60mph, and got 18.2 in a stock 2020 trdpro with 1500 miles.

Do I really have that bad of a lead foot? :giggle::devilish:

I think I have been seeing that number quite often also. I have a stock TRD 4x4 offroad with an RTT and bed rack and I now average 14.1 city, and roughly 16ish highway. Maybe a tuner giving them a brake or something.

Yeah I’ve heard of it but never saw it lol. I barely got 19 mpg when my truck was stock. Maybe gearing would have bumped that up some as I know they are under geared.

I get 14-16 now and I just deal with it lol. No turning back lol

I was averaging 21-22mpg when I was driving to work. Approximately 60 miles a day. Now that I’m only driving around town I’m averaging 18-19.
The only time I hit 24-25 was when I drove from CT to ME, about a 4 hour drive.

Had to dig deep for this one.. lol

When the truck was stock. TRDOR 4x4. This was a drive from Orlando to Tampa, which is a flat Florida drive, averaging 70-75mph.

Highest I've seen any amount in my truck was probably 28mpg briefly. Since the lift, tires, etc. I've seen 19mpg once but average around 15.

BAB5434D-42D5-45EC-A79A-6AF2FC8564F4.jpeg

Location, gear on the truck, gears in the truck, I'll play a factor. Keep in mind with or without gears, the truck will display a miscalculated or incorrect fuel economy number, as the speedo and everything is based off of wheel speed sensors, therefore different gears don't change it, and it doesn't calculate for different tires. If you GPS your actual distance, and calculate with your fuel consumption, it's generally a lot different of a number. Even on 37's, when we cruise over the mountains to the front range or to Moab, we still hit 20 to 21 pretty regularly. Best I've gotten is 26.1 with the 37s, and that was on the way back from Moab through Ridgeway.

I hit 23 regularly before I started modifying the truck. With 33's, bumper and rack it settled in to the high 17's. Now that the tent is on it's getting worse. Wind I get 15 and decent weather around 16. The truck loves 50-60mph. Great mileage there. 65-70 and it guzzles.

I don't think I've ever gotten more than 20 even when I was playing the hyper-mile game.

Around town, 18-20, hwy 20-23 averages on “summer” gas, worse on “winter” ethanol crap.

y'all are lucky, mine reads 12.1 when I had the cap and rtt and now 13.2 without it.... To lazy to ever calculate the actual mpg though

I think I have been seeing that number quite often also. I have a stock TRD 4x4 offroad with an RTT and bed rack and I now average 14.1 city, and roughly 16ish highway. Maybe a tuner giving them a brake or something.
I get 24ish with a rtt stock 2018 offroad

3 weeks old Tacoma, over all my avg is 18.5, best has been 25 and worst is 13.5 pulling a trailer. Most times I am around 20-23, with 3400 miles on it. I am happy so far, my build will look at keeping the mpg up since I do a lot of long distance trips, more overlanding, less rock crawling.

I use an app called Fuelly and most times the Tacoma read out is about a mpg less than the Fuelly calculation

Last edited:
Back