• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fuel millage

Karls022983

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about low gas mileage on the 3rd gen tacomas., 14-16 mpg. I bought a 2016 pre runner and my mileage was around 18-20 mpg. Traded that for a 2018 4X4 and my mileage was even better at 20-23 mpg. Always hitting 6th gear. Now that I put 285-65-18s, Im getting 14-17 might. Now I'm wondering if I should change the gears or just have the shop change shift points??

As you have noticed, wheels and tires make a huge dent on fuel economy. Changing gears will help, but you'll still need a tune to really utilize the gears appropriately. Look into OVTune as you can flash it yourself and then if you later decide to get gears you can easily reflash with a tune specifically for the gears.

Back