• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Favorite NorCal National Forests/rec areas?

Meclizine

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Midnight Black
Hey, all,

I'm wondering if anyone in northern California minds sharing their go-to spots for camping, wheeling, what have you.

My favorites are Lassen (Wilson Lake is nice) and Eldorado (Silverfork Rd. out of Kyburz leads to cool areas) National Forests, but they're kind of on fire right now, so I started exploring Black Springs OHV area in the Stanislaus NF. It's a nice area at ~6000ft with loads of roads and trails for camping and other fun. I'm also going to take a road trip through Modoc County at some point because I love deserts too, and especially the high ones.

Bringing this post back to the main screen, hopefully someone helps us both out.

Going to be taking a weekend trip from Reno to Redwood National Park mid May. Was planning on stopping to camp in/near Lassen. Seems like most the the National park camp grounds will be closed. Anyone have some recommendations near Lassen?

I haven't been up there since the Dixie fire burned through. In addition to Wilson Lake, the area north of it is/was nice and borders the Lassen Volcanic Wilderness. Lots of dispersed camping territory. I just don't know how intense the fire was in that area, whether there are loads of snags or not. I'll probably go up there in a few weeks to check it out and report back.

When I posted this I hadn't yet caught on to how a lot of people keep their spots secret. I understand the motive, but I'm not a fan of siloed info. It's all good, though.

I haven't been up to Lassen yet. I got the urge to drive this morning and went up to Knoxville OHV park. I wanted to go to Black Springs near Big Tree SP but they extended the seasonal closure. Berryessa Knoxville Road is very rough and is practically sliding off the hillsides as I type. There are some hiking trails in the area, too.

IMG_20220508_121045123.jpg

The Caldor burn area in the Eldorado NF as of a month ago:

IMG_20220402_120854424_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220402_122801340_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220402_151602552_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220402_142046387.jpg

Yolo Bolla mt, Rat Trap gap. It is west of Red Bluff. Outstanding little mt lake with very hungry trout.
Thanks for the tip! Looks pretty tucked away in there.

Just a heads up, folks: USFS is having a very hard time recruiting firefighters. Some units are at 50%, so in terms of a federal response to wildfires this year is going to be rough, to say nothing of widespread drought conditions. Be safe out there.

Bringing this post back to the main screen, hopefully someone helps us both out.

Going to be taking a weekend trip from Reno to Redwood National Park mid May. Was planning on stopping to camp in/near Lassen. Seems like most the the National park camp grounds will be closed. Anyone have some recommendations near Lassen?
Check this out:

And if you can’t find anything good on their, let me know and I’ll show you some other places you can look.

My favorite place in Northern California for camping/ hiking is the Redwood National, there's a state park there that's absolutely beautiful! Definitely check it out & as well as some really good hiking areas too

Sly Creek, NE of Yuba City. Fishing, hunting, gold panning, and about 150 miles of forest service roads and trails.

Back