• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fab Fours’ massive Tacoma, what do you guys think?

Aesthetics: I like the stance. I like the idea of not having doors and/or tube doors. I don’t like the front bumper or the styling of the tube doors.

Performance wise, I obviously love the SAS and I imagine this thing is as beast as it looks. But I hope we get to see videos of it going hard on the trails.

Down the road, I want to run a similar drivetrain with the SAS, double case, and ~40” tires. But I want the axles to be a little narrower, kind of like the Spartan X Taco SAS truck. I want no cosmetic mods at all, besides minimal style tube bumpers, @WarFabArmor style. And then I’d love to finish it with a full cage.

No bed rack, no lights, no fancy wrap or logos on the truck. Basically a stock looking Tacoma on 40s and a solid axle with a wild transfer set up. That’s my type of truck.

That’s my goal for my truck after I’m done with the road life. I know @Tacomadad18 is all about it too.

Last edited:
Aesthetics: I like the stance. I like the idea of not having doors and/or tube doors. I don’t like the front bumper or the styling of the tube doors.

Performance wise, I obviously love the SAS and I imagine this thing is as beast as it looks. But I hope we get to see videos of it going hard on the trails.

Yeah I’m not a fan of FF bumpers usually. They are just too big imo. I am a fan of the doors, something different is always cool to me. It’s sits a little too high for me as well. While having all that articulation and height is cool, I feel as those it will restrict it in some way out on the trail.

The owner seems pretty cool, I do hope to see it on some knarly stuff.

Let’s see what/ where they take it!

Last edited:
Yeah I’m not a fan of FF bumpers usually. They are just too big imo. I am a fan of the doors, something different is always cool to me.

The owner seems pretty cool, I do hope to see it on some knarly stuff.

Let’s see what/ where they take it!
He does seem very down to earth and passionate. Compared to the reaper SAS truck, this one seems like it’s built to be used and not for the gram.

I totally dig no doors or tube doors, I’d just want mine to be a little more raw. I can’t wait to start doing this to my truck. I’ll probably go back to daily driving my CUCV while it gets built. Life will be good.

He does seem very down to earth and passionate. Compared to the reaper SAS truck, this one seems like it’s built to be used and not for the gram.

I totally dig no doors or tube doors, I’d just want mine to be a little more raw. I can’t wait to start doing this to my truck. I’ll probably go back to daily driving my CUCV while it gets built. Life will be good.

Oh I’m a huge fan of tube doors. I’ve taken doors off since I started driving. Used to make pins to remove them on my Cherokees lol. This style isn’t terrible to me. What may be terrible.... the price. I have a feeling they are gonna be up to about a grand or more. The quick pin idea would be cool though. I’d never wheel with doors again. I’ve looked at mine to see how hard it would be but I’ll never forget my Cherokee doors not lining up perfectly lol

Yeah I’m ready to see your adventures, then see what you do to the truck!

Oh I’m a huge fan of tube doors. I’ve taken doors off since I started driving. Used to make pins to remove them on my Cherokees lol. This style isn’t terrible to me. What may be terrible.... the price. I have a feeling they are gonna be up to about a grand or more. The quick pin idea would be cool though. I’d never wheel with doors again. I’ve looked at mine to see how hard it would be but I’ll never forget my Cherokee doors not lining up perfectly lol

Yeah I’m ready to see your adventures, then see what you do to the truck!
I love doorless.

B8F0F3CB-DEDC-4969-95BA-9DE229FFD8EC.jpeg
71ABA693-B420-4E6D-98E4-3BB962398F39.jpeg

I like it and dislike it all in one. (don't we all feel that way about pretty much any build?)
The SAS is cool but Ori on a street truck is a bad idea. Lose a seal and the truck is riding on bumps.
Lower link mounts kiiillllll me. With the 43's (ignoring lift height) he has same belly clearance or worse than we do on 37's. A long wheelbase rig has to worry about belly height as it will always be an issue, fighting themselves there. The front hydro ram looks off. I can't tell if it's caster, or what's going on, but the ram looks super low and exposed. Also bummed someone with their budget didn't sort out the electronic stuff. That's such a big part of doing a good sas I think. None of their electronics work.
Now, put my money where my mouth is right? Already reaching out to the 'big name' tacoma companies to plan a meet up and wheeling sesh. See how the different rigs stack up against each other. Be nice to get FF Marlin Spartan and whoever else out there and see how they stack up against each other.
Either way. Stoked to see more tacomas changing things up a bit.

I like it and dislike it all in one. (don't we all feel that way about pretty much any build?)
The SAS is cool but Ori on a street truck is a bad idea. Lose a seal and the truck is riding on bumps.
Lower link mounts kiiillllll me. With the 43's (ignoring lift height) he has same belly clearance or worse than we do on 37's. A long wheelbase rig has to worry about belly height as it will always be an issue, fighting themselves there. The front hydro ram looks off. I can't tell if it's caster, or what's going on, but the ram looks super low and exposed. Also bummed someone with their budget didn't sort out the electronic stuff. That's such a big part of doing a good sas I think. None of their electronics work.
Now, put my money where my mouth is right? Already reaching out to the 'big name' tacoma companies to plan a meet up and wheeling sesh. See how the different rigs stack up against each other. Be nice to get FF Marlin Spartan and whoever else out there and see how they stack up against each other.
Either way. Stoked to see more tacomas changing things up a bit.
Having that group of trucks and anything other big boiis would be an amazing thing to see.

Don't really see the point in buying a brand new, decked out TRD Pro just to change literally everything but the body and engine. Especially with none of the electronics working properly, you might as well have bought an SR.

That said, the thing is absolutely insane and it's awesome to see guys with the capital do stuff like this. Guy who made it seems really cool too. Thumbs up from me!

Don't really see the point in buying a brand new, decked out TRD Pro just to change literally everything but the body and engine. Especially with none of the electronics working properly, you might as well have bought an SR.

That said, the thing is absolutely insane and it's awesome to see guys with the capital do stuff like this. Guy who made it seems really cool too. Thumbs up from me!
I feel you about the SR. And not really finishing the job with the electronics.

Ifuckinwantit

but also, only an asshole puts that much money into a vehicle without adding power mods.

If I want solid axles, removable doors, easily modifiable electronics, and big tires, I’ll do up a Jeep JL. Tacoma is the wrong base vehicle for a project like this, imho.
But hey, i respect you guys with the ability to tear down a rig and weld it back the way you like. Hats off to you. 🛠🔩

If I want solid axles, removable doors, easily modifiable electronics, and big tires, I’ll do up a Jeep JL. Tacoma is the wrong base vehicle for a project like this, imho.
But hey, i respect you guys with the ability to tear down a rig and weld it back the way you like. Hats off to you. 🛠🔩
I've always been curious, what exactly makes something a good platform or base versus something else? Maybe I'm the oddball, or anyone that's going a little crazy is an oddball, but to me it's just plastic and metal, got to shape it how you want. And not being rude I just am genuinely curious what is the concept behind something being a better platform than something else?

Probably comes from my inexperience with what you guys are able to do.

JLUR: comes stock with d44’s, huge cut out fenders, plug and play wiring, the entire rig is made for modifying (carpet snaps out, bumpers come off with no need for sheet metal trimming, doors already have quick release electronics, etc.).
Two inches of lift and I fit 37’s, no need for regearing.
The engine sings a symphony with the transmission.

Tacoma: for a basic small truck that drives straight down the highway, is comfortable and can haul or tow a bit in a pinch, it’s great. But 33’s are as big as you can go without jumping into the garage for some major mods. And the engine and tranny, even with the updated algorithms in 2020, still sings more like a drunk in a karaoke competition.

Probably comes from my inexperience with what you guys are able to do.

JLUR: comes stock with d44’s, huge cut out fenders, plug and play wiring, the entire rig is made for modifying (carpet snaps out, bumpers come off with no need for sheet metal trimming, doors already have quick release electronics, etc.).
Two inches of lift and I fit 37’s, no need for regearing.
The engine sings a symphony with the transmission.

Tacoma: for a basic small truck that drives straight down the highway, is comfortable and can haul or tow a bit in a pinch, it’s great. But 33’s are as big as you can go without jumping into the garage for some major mods. And the engine and tranny, even with the updated algorithms in 2020, still sings more like a drunk in a karaoke competition.
Fair enough. The Wrangler platform definitely holds itself to quick and easy modifications for sure. I would argue that to really run 37s on a JL, there's still a ton of work to be done. Cat axle setup aluminum knuckles that rival the weakness of what the Tacoma comes with, and I still would hear a JL on 35 or bigger. the JL and JK are not quite a foot shorter than its coma with no bed, and stepping up to the JT gives you DCLB wheelbase which is going to be trash for wheeling and most harder applications. I think it's a lot of personal preference for that kind of stuff. But was just curious like I said.

I've always been curious, what exactly makes something a good platform or base versus something else? Maybe I'm the oddball, or anyone that's going a little crazy is an oddball, but to me it's just plastic and metal, got to shape it how you want. And not being rude I just am genuinely curious what is the concept behind something being a better platform than something else?
My opinion on this is it’s a mix of what you’re getting with the factory parts and what it looks like (how cool it looks to YOU).

To me, that means: the engine should be considered since you’re likely not swapping. But if you are, that doesn’t matter. The axles and transfer should be considered but you might be swapping those anyway.

The thing you aren’t changing is what it looks like. Would you rather a Jeep or a squarebody Chevy? What if the Jeep is a better platform on paper but the squarebody is your favorite type of truck?

What if a Jeep Gladiator already has a solid axle and the Tacoma is IFS, but you grew up diehard Toyota, think the Gladiator is ugly, and the Tacoma’s interior is better to you?

My answer: Go with the Chevy. Make it better than the Jeep. Or go with the Tacoma. Stick to what you love despite its drawbacks as a build platform. Make the Tacoma as capable as the Gladiator.

To me, feeling like you need to start with the best truck out of the box at the compromise of other personal preferences is silly. It sounds boring too.

People have asked me why I would live in my Tacoma instead of getting a 3/4 ton truck that can handle the weight out of the box, and is bigger inside the cab. Well, because I love how my Tacoma looks, I think the new full size trucks are ugly, I don’t want to travel the country in my CUCV, and I find it engaging to research and modify the Tacoma to be able to hang with the big boys.

Lots of good solutions for different applications.
I switched to the taco because I needed reliability that the Jeep didn’t offer. My job is demanding, and having an electrical issue or stupid engineering gaff Jeep is so well known for kept distracting.
And I don’t do major maintenance or projects on my rig...time is too precious in my current stage of life. I suppose if time magically appeared and I could live 36 hour days and be able to work 12-16hours, play with the truck 8 hours, and sleep 8 hours, I might be able to join you guys in cutting and welding my taco into solid axles, 37’s, d60’s, atlas II, coilover 4 link rear suspensions with a V8 swap :)

Get that thing in some gumbo mud and it won't be able to turn the tires BUT; it's a beautiful mall crawler

Last edited by a moderator:
Annoyed the doors are 2k.

That’s the only cool thing I liked. Something different. Next year I’ll run the tube style ones, and put some sheet metal on the outsides.

Annoyed the doors are 2k.

That’s the only cool thing I liked. Something different. Next year I’ll run the tube style ones, and put some sheet metal on the outsides.
I’d do tube doors but I would want them to look much more basic than theirs do.

First thought was a Polaris RZR on steroids. In all seriousness that Taco is awesome!
It looks hella capable but I feel bad for it because it will probably never get to see proper wheeling. I could be wrong though.

You know, the first time I heard of Tacoma Beast it was when someone had vandalized something with his name. I havn't heard anything since then that I've really liked. Way too dude-bro for me.

That truck is also too dude-bro for me. Not my thing. I'm sure it's very popular at the mall though.

You know, the first time I heard of Tacoma Beast it was when someone had vandalized something with his name. I havn't heard anything since then that I've really liked. Way too dude-bro for me.

That truck is also too dude-bro for me. Not my thing. I'm sure it's very popular at the mall though.
Not out to be a hater but the fact is he is a commercial and not much of a "real" enthusiast like us. He's making a great business off of something he worked hard to build. But still, the relatability and personality is gone, which often happens when people go huge. :(

Back