• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Drones!

Who currently has a drone? Brand and model?

• Total voters

Trudog

6️⃣ Aficionado
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
With the amount of focus in recent years I would like to start a thread all about drones! I plan on being in the market for one to document the building of our forever home as well as use for off-road.

I would like to know what options are there? Price range? Best models versus ones to avoid? What are some of the laws and or impacts? Tread lightly guidelines?

In addition would love to hear some drone stories as far as crashes mishaps est.

And of course throw in some of your best still shots or video footage!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Wish I had a drone when this picture was taken? Epic scenery!

Attachments

• 181EABC5-403A-40FA-9FCE-91F0A9B26CF0.jpeg
    181EABC5-403A-40FA-9FCE-91F0A9B26CF0.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I bought the DJI Spark after seeing the optional charger carry case available. The case holds the charger which carries the drone and 2 spare batts. and the controller, really compact.

4F9C0520-5493-4A3D-8179-890777173D1F.png

The drone has gps and does all kinds of tricks like fly a course, gesture control and follow.
Very easy to fly and I really like the quick pic features where you choose from 3 different type of “dronies”. rocket, helix or up n away. You bracket the target, hit record and send it, simple and quick and really good video. Also the “return to home” function is reassuring cuz this thing is small and fast and really easy to lose sight of. I’ve been able to nav back using the display, so far I haven’t had to use the home button.

3B235EA5-C93F-47B8-B550-FFB81A5C8A98.png

Thank for the information......I am kinda of funny
I bought the DJI Spark after seeing the optional charger carry case available. The case holds the charger which carries the drone and 2 spare batts. and the controller, really compact.

4F9C0520-5493-4A3D-8179-890777173D1F.png

The drone has gps and does all kinds of tricks like fly a course, gesture control and follow.
Very easy to fly and I really like the quick pic features where you choose from 3 different type of “dronies”. rocket, helix or up n away. You bracket the target, hit record and send it, simple and quick and really good video. Also the “return to home” function is reassuring cuz this thing is small and fast and really easy to lose sight of. I’ve been able to nav back using the display, so far I haven’t had to use the home button.

3B235EA5-C93F-47B8-B550-FFB81A5C8A98.png
Thanks for the information! I am funny how I spend my money.......like to gather as much information as possible and make an educated purchase.

May I ask where was the still photo taken? Great Shot!

I’d also like to start learning about them because we are going to get one for our upcoming travels.

Didn’t one of the popular brands just release a new one that is very tiny and pretty affordable? I don’t remember what it is called.

That picture is a screen shot of a video from Lake Silverwood Cal.
i almost purchased the higher end DJI Mavic as it has even more features but the Spark’s compact carry case sold me. I am able to carry this kit on my m/c and this was more important than even more features.

I also like that the drone looks like a toy and gets less attention than some of the larger drones. Anytime I fly around people there is some kinda reaction, mostly curious but some are cranky and want to debate public privacy issues.

The FAA requires you register a drone above a certain weight and even the Spark is just over the limit. DJI also has a flight safety dealio that warns you of any nearby flight restrictions.

The best entry level drone I found was the Ryze Tello for $100 bucks at Best Buy, I bought one for my brother and it works great. You don’t get a controller but instead use your phone to fly it, this isn’t as precise but works well.

Here is a picture of Soggy Dry Lake after some rain
30E5B650-4B48-41DA-9E4C-6294FB50A73F.png

I have the DJI Mavic 2, it's really amazing the distance you can get and the height as well. The highest is software limited to 1402ft +/- 50ft. The distance is limited to your position, in a neighborhood about a mile but in the open it goes so far that you are nervous to go too far if that makes any sense. The thing is it's only going to get better & better as time rolls on.

I have the DJI Mavic 2, it's really amazing the distance you can get and the height as well. The highest is software limited to 1402ft +/- 50ft. The distance is limited to your position, in a neighborhood about a mile but in the open it goes so far that you are nervous to go too far if that makes any sense. The thing is it's only going to get better & better as time rolls on.
How is the video quality on that one? Pretty usable I would imagine.

DJI mavic mini is the one you are thinking of. It is just under the weight needed to be registered with FAA, so you don't need to worry about that if you're not using it for commercial purposes. Can be had for less than $500. If I were to buy a drone today, that's what I would get.

HAve a Mavic Air. Not much seat time with it. Usually just take the dogs out and follow them with it kind of gig currently. Used with BLM in moab a few times to film pre and post trail maintenance to show the changes we made. Hoping to use more this season and expand our abilities for stuff. IIRC the new tiny dji does not film in 4k, and that was a big draw for the mavic was still being relatively compact and having 4k ability.
76931542_3774710585887749_4983029135652683776_o.jpg

HAve a Mavic Air. Not much seat time with it. Usually just take the dogs out and follow them with it kind of gig currently. Used with BLM in moab a few times to film pre and post trail maintenance to show the changes we made. Hoping to use more this season and expand our abilities for stuff. IIRC the new tiny dji does not film in 4k, and that was a big draw for the mavic was still being relatively compact and having 4k ability.
76931542_3774710585887749_4983029135652683776_o.jpg
That photo does look pretty crispy though. Do they actually take photos or is it just a screen grab from video?

I love my DJI Spark. Cost me 600 for the drone and accessory package on Amazon. It takes some really amazing pictures...
Bridge Overhead WM.jpg
Waterway Final WM.jpg

I have an Autel EVO. I recently decided to turn off all the safeties and put it in "Ludicrous Mode" and within 3 seconds crashed it into a tree at 40MPH. Autel paid for me to ship it to them, charged me only $12 for the parts and $30 for the labor and then sent it back paying for shipping again. I was really happy about that. It's comparible to a DJI Mavic Pro. Unlike the DJI drones though, Autel is an American company so when I sent it in for repair it went to Bothel, Washington.

Last edited:
I have an Autel EVO. I recently decided to turn off all the safeties and put it in "Ludicrous Mode" and within 3 seconds crashed it into a tree at 40MPH. Autel paid for me to ship it to them, charged me only $12 for the parts and $30 for the labor and then sent it back paying for shipping again. I was really happy about that. It's compatible to a DJI Mavic Pro. Unlike the DJI drones though, Autel is an American company so when I sent it in for repair it went to Bothel, Washington.
Well if I get one of the same and need repairs it would only cost a few dollars in gas! LOL
Thanks for the feedback!

I have a DJI mavic pro and the small camera is very capable. Also the drone is very easy to use.

Attachments

• 083860A3-7C9B-48F6-A301-34E640B62EFF.jpeg
    083860A3-7C9B-48F6-A301-34E640B62EFF.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 71530E34-25DA-460B-8EEF-02BD2CDF5F8D.jpeg
    71530E34-25DA-460B-8EEF-02BD2CDF5F8D.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 67
I’m in Farmington NM. Chokecherry canyon is my back yard. If your ever in Colorado it’s worth a trip down here. Especially if you like rock crawling.
39B60540-28AF-4064-87B9-0408053FB9F2.jpeg

Back