• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Drilling and mounting to the Plastic inner Bed?

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Howdy,

I'm working on a drawer system design and to keep the weight down I'm thinking of mounting it directly to the inner bed. Has anyone had experience drilling and mounting to this? I figure since it's strong enough to hold cargo, it should be able to be a structural part of a drawer system. Things I'm considering:

Using riv nits directly on the bed. Drilling and bolting up through the bed. Using pocket hole screws to the bed material.

How does the material hold up to drilling, cutting, screws, bolts? Any experience is appreciated.

-M

if you are good with drilling or cutting up your bed, I sad go for it. its your Rig. payload is carried by the frame of the vehicle and not necessarily by the bed its self. I don't know how the structure of the plastic bed will handle a downward load to the sides directly. But I guess we would need to see you design ideas to be sure.

if you are good with drilling or cutting up your bed, I sad go for it. its your Rig. payload is carried by the frame of the vehicle and not necessarily by the bed its self. I don't know how the structure of the plastic bed will handle a downward load to the sides directly. But I guess we would need to see you design ideas to be sure.
I hadn't thought about loading. I was more concerned with how the plastic would react to being drilled and bolted. If it would crack. I'm assuming that it must be able to take it. Given that it's bolted down in the first place.

im sure the plastic will take being drilled, and depending on the loads applied it could crack, especially with the abuse that a vehicle get off road. I personally would secure and system in a way that would not compromise the integrity of the bed. but thats just me. If I was looking to do a drawer setup I would just go with a decked system. although I did make a drawer system when I had my FJ Cruiser.

im sure the plastic will take being drilled, and depending on the loads applied it could crack, especially with the abuse that a vehicle get off road. I personally would secure and system in a way that would not compromise the integrity of the bed. but thats just me. If I was looking to do a drawer setup I would just go with a decked system. although I did make a drawer system when I had my FJ Cruiser.
Decked is nice, but it has lot of wasted space and is heavier than I want.

-M

Back