• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Does Auto LSD mode improve throttle response?

Kuzumonkey

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
I have a 2020 TRD Off Road with the 6spd manual. I have always been annoyed by the throttle lag combined with a low first gear and lack of low end torque. While playing with the auto lsd mode it feels to me like it changes more than the traction control throttle cut. It feels like it may change the torque curve as well. I wanted to get yall's opinion on if this is true or just my imagination.
Here is what I think I've noticed when changing the traction control modes.

Traction Control on (normal mode) -
1/2 second delay between accelerator pedal press and tach needle movement.
Very slow climb to higher rpm.
Slow to respond to the accelerator pedal with the clutch in while trying to rev match.
Under heavy acceleration, the truck sometimes bogs off the line unless I rev up and dump the clutch.
Noticeable surge in power around 3000 rpm, with an even more noticeable surge at 4G.
A little tire chirp sometimes shifting 1st to 2nd when giving it the business.

Traction Control off (holding the TC button for 3 sec while stopped) -
The same behavior as traction control on, but with a bit more one tire fire.

Auto LSD mode (single press of the TC button, auto lsd light in the cluster) -
Response to accelerator pedal press seems much quicker.
Revs climb faster when rev matching.
I don't notice a surge in power at 3 or 4000rpm. Power and torque delivery seems more linear.
Less tire chirp when giving it the business.

Again, this could be a 'butt dyno reaction to a new intake' kind of thing because I get so frustrated with how this engine normally behaves and maybe I just want this to be true.
Or, perhaps there is a different tuning map for Auto LSD mode to help when you're in a difficult situation and the part time nature doesn't require all of the environmental mothering of the everyday use tune.
What have you guys experienced with this?

Back