• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Do you need LT Tires or SL (Standard Load)?

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Source: https://youtu.be/2LH2t9GqU6o

I picked up a set of used BFG KO2s from a Wrangler that comes in Load Range C. Those are about 6# Lighter than the LOAD E version and are way smoother and give the truck noticeably more power and fuel efficiency. So we made a video comparing two different versions of the Nitto Recon Grapplers (because Nitto pays us to make videos).

Both tires were 285/70 R17
One was 285/70 R17 116T rated for 2756# @ 44 PSI and weighs 48#
One was LT 285/70 R17 126/123S rated for 3750 @ 80 PPSI and weighs 54.59#
We tested them on my 2017 Tacoma with stock toyota 17" wheels.

9W6A2752.jpeg

NOTE: Nitto calls the lighter tire an SL or standard load. But for comparison, it's almost identical in spec to the BFG LT Load Range C tire, so that's what I'm calling it. I don't know why they don't call it an LT C load. They didn't elaborate on that for us. In my mind, this is a comparison between Load Range C and Load Range E. Don't confuse SL with P. P = Passenger. That's what Tacomas come with from the dealer. Those are not SL tires.

A Toyota Tacoma weighs, let's say, 7000# max. That's OVER GVWR, but well well under the rating for both tires. So the question is not, can you run SL tires on your 1 ton Ram, but can you run them on your midsize truck?

We wanted to see the difference and if we could convince ourselves that 10-ply tires were unnecessary on a Tacoma.

For my part (it's my truck), we did. I really like the "SL" Recon Grappler. We just got back from Mt. Patterson, which is a remote high-altitude mountain road with lots of rocks and most of them are sharp and rough. The tires held up perfectly. They're a softer rubber compound, and so have good traction, though they are chunking a bit.

I've been averaging 18 - 19 MPG with the tires. I have the speedometer calibrated, and it is within 1 MPH at 70. For off road I'm airing down to 20 PSI with these and that pressure is perfect for "overlanding."

-M

I noticed he pressurized front and rear tires the same. A very long time ago I found that you need to have a higher inflation pressure in the front tires of most pickup. And, it's important to adjust the pressure not only to the terrain, but the load. In other words, if you load up the rear with either bed weight or trongue weight you need to increase the rear tire pressure.

I actually weighed the front and rear of my Scrambler in it's normal daily driver configuration. Because Jeeps are pretty light I was amazed at how much lower the pressure was run in the rear to keep things balanced. For a couple of trips I weighed the rear with my gear in it and picked a good pressure for that configuration.

By the way, I have run BFG AT KO's since they came out. I've always run load range C tires on my Jeep.

I noticed he pressurized front and rear tires the same. A very long time ago I found that you need to have a higher inflation pressure in the front tires of most pickup. And, it's important to adjust the pressure not only to the terrain, but the load. In other words, if you load up the rear with either bed weight or trongue weight you need to increase the rear tire pressure.

I actually weighed the front and rear of my Scrambler in it's normal daily driver configuration. Because Jeeps are pretty light I was amazed at how much lower the pressure was run in the rear to keep things balanced. For a couple of trips I weighed the rear with my gear in it and picked a good pressure for that configuration.

By the way, I have run BFG AT KO's since they came out. I've always run load range C tires on my Jeep.
You're right, of course, but there's no good way of weighing a truck or knowing what the load is other than guessing or going to cat scales all the time. And then, what's the correct pressure for the load and the tire? Do you do a contact patch with every configuration? Most of us are guesstimating, and in my experience, there's a diminishing return in this line of thought. I go to 40 when I'm loaded for long drives and leave it ad 35 the rest of the time.

As we found shooting the video, the contact patch doesn't change much until it gets really low. I didn't go over 35, but we may in a future video. This one seems like a topic a lot of people are interested in.

-M

I don't weigh them every time. Note I weighed the front (actually did it twice before and after I added a Warn 8724). The rear was weighed only three times, dry, and twice with camping gear and such. Once you learn what you usual weights are (the front doesn't usually change unltess you modify it) it's just a matter of figuring out what presure works best.

I imagine I've saved more than a few miles of tire wear properly inflating the rear (road hop is a tire killer). I really aren't all that concerned about gas mileage as my right foot is about twenty pounds heavier than my left.

I wouldn't expect the mileage difference between 35 psi and 40psi to be that much.

I wouldn't expect the mileage difference between 35 psi and 40psi to be that much.
Probably the heavier the load, the lower the mileage at a lower pressure. But measuring it would be the trick.

For what it's worth, Running the C range on my Jeep gave me better deflection at any give pressure. Also, I never noticed any real increase in tire damage from pokey stuff with a C range.

Probably the heavier the load, the lower the mileage at a lower pressure. But measuring it would be the trick.

For what it's worth, Running the C range on my Jeep gave me better deflection at any give pressure. Also, I never noticed any real increase in tire damage from pokey stuff with a C range.
I've done a couple of gnar trails with the "C" Nittos and have had no damage. The Recons are soft though which makes the traction great, but they are chunking a bit.

-M

It really doesn't matter what tire you run, you are going to loose some rubber when traveling in rock Part of what you pay to play. I really can't see taking my Tacoma (2 wheel drive) on anything less than a well graded dirt road. Anything more and the Jeep gets the nod. No vehicle can do it all or should it be pressed into service for things it's not designed for except in emergencies.

Honestly, on my Jeep I wish it were still possible to get the old bias ply tires. They always had superior traction to radials as they deformed more. Easier to fix and generally lighter.

I just got XL rated tires.
They are the rating between SL and LT
Still 4 ply like the SL but reinforced and made just a bit beefier.
Perfect for a light truck and they wear more evenly than a SL.

I just got XL rated tires.
They are the rating between SL and LT
Still 4 ply like the SL but reinforced and made just a bit beefier.
Perfect for a light truck and they wear more evenly than a SL.
What brand and model?

Back