• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

DIY Limb Risers AKA Brush Deflectors AKA Bush Wires AKA Bird Rests AKA "What the hell are those things for?"

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Last edited:

Attachments

• 3485B3DC-9515-4D58-8C40-ED6C8DAC61CF.jpeg
    3485B3DC-9515-4D58-8C40-ED6C8DAC61CF.jpeg
    689.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 69F92CA5-FBBD-4EA5-A81E-888AC22FFDFA.jpeg
    69F92CA5-FBBD-4EA5-A81E-888AC22FFDFA.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 274
  • 17938952-3B02-45FD-8012-48390A264FB4.jpeg
    17938952-3B02-45FD-8012-48390A264FB4.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 255
Could you mount them to the hood itself and then it would just get loose when you open it?

-M

Could you mount them to the hood itself and then it would just get loose when you open it?

-M
Someone else mentioned that on the video and I'm going to look into it. This is a bit of a first draft I think.

Someone else mentioned that on the video and I'm going to look into it. This is a bit of a first draft I think.
You could also use carabiners and paracord and make them temporary and easy to remove. Or one of those Nite-Ize paracord cam locks.

-M

You could also use carabiners and paracord and make them temporary and easy to remove. Or one of those Nite-Ize paracord cam locks.

-M
Personally I would prefer not to, the fender gives you hard points to actually bolt to and give some good tension on the lines (I would not trust paracord as limb risers). The only method you could use for the hood are like those low profile antenna mounts and those simply aren't strong enough.

Also with my lines you have a carabiner on the top and the bottom pin is a quick release, it takes less than a minute each side to undo the lines to open your hood.

Personally I would prefer not to, the fender gives you hard points to actually bolt to and give some good tension on the lines (I would not trust paracord as limb risers). The only method you could use for the hood are like those low profile antenna mounts and those simply aren't strong enough.

Also with my lines you have a carabiner on the top and the bottom pin is a quick release, it takes less than a minute each side to undo the lines to open your hood.
Are you still getting hood interference even with the angle of the mounts? I would have figured you were clearing it.

Are you still getting hood interference even with the angle of the mounts? I would have figured you were clearing it.
you can open the hood halfway and you hit the lines. You would have to space out the top mounts going to the roof rack to be the same width as your hood mounts if you wanted them to clear, which looks just silly :p

Don't mind me, just resurrecting the thread... I've been thinking about limb risers for some time now and I love the DIY route. I seem to have an uncommon setup, though. A tall cap on the bed and no roof rack. I'd really like to run them from hood to front cab, then from front cab to front cap. My main concern is how much flex there is along all that. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Much appreciated!

Don't mind me, just resurrecting the thread... I've been thinking about limb risers for some time now and I love the DIY route. I seem to have an uncommon setup, though. A tall cap on the bed and no roof rack. I'd really like to run them from hood to front cab, then from front cab to front cap. My main concern is how much flex there is along all that. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Much appreciated!
I'm having problems visualizing that

I'm having problems visualizing that
Here's my best render of what I'm thinking:

IMG_20210925_143538826_0.jpg

For me it'd be nice to have cables go all the way to the cap since it's so damn high. Normal length risers would help limbs over the windshield but not over the cap. But I'm worried there might be too much flex in the frame.

Here's my best render of what I'm thinking:

IMG_20210925_143538826_0.jpg

For me it'd be nice to have cables go all the way to the cap since it's so damn high. Normal length risers would help limbs over the windshield but not over the cap. But I'm worried there might be too much flex in the frame.
I would highly recommend not doing that... Your bed and cab flex differently from each other and can put different strains on the lines. If you used something more flexible like paracord you could do it, but not with a steel line.

The usual way I see people doing this is they put limb risers from the hood to the rack, then pile the rack up high with boxes and awnings and max tax that stick out and catch the limbs.

I'm surprised no one has thought of just mounting a chain saw to a high lift jack and mounting that to the front bumper and jacking the saw to the right level and driving forward.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't bother with limb risers with that setup, it'll deflect brush just fine without them. If you're worried about your paint, try wrap or clear paint film. limbs that will deflect, won't be big enough to do much damage. Anything bigger, you'll have to cut.

-M

Back