• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Diodedynamics SL1 Recall

HiterSixOne

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Sport DCSB Auto
Cement
I'm sure that many of you will be receiving this recall notice if you haven't already.

I spoke with Diodedynamics and was advised that this is a voluntary recall and if your affected bulbs are listed there is no warranty associated with their return. For example....I purchased these in May 2020 and they are under warranty, if I return them under the recall no compensation will be made for the return.

It was further explained that the FMVSS standard is the hang up whereas the language does not include LED's for the main driving light, but uses the word filament. This is an LED recall nationwide of all headlamp bulbs, so I assume you'll start to see off the shelf replacement bulbs also being tagged as non-compliant in the USA.

The Diodedynamics rep was very helpful and explained that other Diodedynamics products are not affected at this time and that even the SL1 bulbs in the recall were tested to all NHTSA standards, it is just a language issue at this point. Diodedynamics also stated that if you keep your SL1's the warranty will be honored for any issues you may have with them.

Hope this helps someone in Tacoma3g land.

16061558115507227981400989743522.jpg

Interesting. Wonder if this is going to effect other manufacturers of leds

Does this basically mean they are too bright to be legal?

Apparently it is a language issue between filament and diode. But brass tacks....yes too bright.

Back