• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dash cams

jchooley13

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
My daily commute has been getting worse with each passing day. Today was nearly (literally a 1/2") a Taco down moment. It's got me thinking about getting dash cams.

What cameras are you guys using? Looking for front and rear. Also suggestions for mounting the rear camera with a mid height bed rack.

Man, do I miss COVID lock down traffic.

Bro I was in the same boat yesterday. Almost t-boned by a white sedan blowing a 4 way stop at a massive intersection. Homegirl doesn't even know she blew the sign and almost killed my son and I because she was talking to her passenger.

Just got it today. Do you use the USB for power or did you figure out another power source?

I just went with the USB. I've for a 4-way splitter so i had plenty of room. Now that I think about it though I wonder if I could steal power from the wireless charger that I have never and will never use...

I've been meaning to get myself some cameras for a while. Also looking for an option that would record break-ins to my bed/camper.

What about a go-pro?

What about a go-pro?

So, I thought about that since I already had the mount and a couple go pros. The ones I have were not designed to start recording as soon as power was supplied or motion was detected. Also, if you leave it in the truck you are just asking for it to get stolen (at least in my town)

I just went with the USB. I've for a 4-way splitter so i had plenty of room. Now that I think about it though I wonder if I could steal power from the wireless charger that I have never and will never use...
I order a hard wire kit from Amazon, having the USB out in the open like that is bothering me. But I don't see why you couldn't use the wireless charger supply. I'm one of the few people that use mine, I understand it's not the best but it's enough to offset the blue tooth drain. So I didn't want to get into possibly messing something up to find out.

I've been meaning to get myself some cameras for a while. Also looking for an option that would record break-ins to my bed/camper.
Most seem to have a motion option. The one RevN3 suggested has it but the wiring kit for it is a separate option.

I have a blackvue dash cam. records in 1080 or 4k. you can either hard wire it or use the cigarette lighter. good thing about this dash cam is the camera itself is detachable. You can purchase a separate mount and use the same dash cam for multiple vehicles. I have it mounted in my Honda Fit or my Taco depending what I'm driving.

https://blackvue.com/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZQ6BFM/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Not sure on price, but I've seen a few of the Owl Cams on various cars around SD. I think the only draw back is it's use of the OBD port for power.

https://www.owlcam.com/

I’ve run a rexing v1 and v3. Both are good quality and pretty reasonably priced.

im currently running a kenwood drv-n520 as it interfaces with the new head unit I installed

I’m looking at the Scosche cams. Anyone know anything about them? Between the NEXC1 and the NEXS1 but the website is not at all clear on the differences between the two.

I run this: Amazon.com: Crosstour Dash Cam, 1080P Car Camera Front and Rear, 170° Wide Angle Driving Recorder for Cars Optional GPS, 3" LCD, HDR, Support 128GB, Supercapacitor, Motion Sensor, G-Sensor, Loop Recording: Electronics

I have the rear camera mounted temporarily in the window behind the driver's seat, but I've done a rudimentary measurement to run it through the weather hole in the back of the cab and into the bed so I can mount it to the window of the camper shell I have on order, and apparently I'll have about 6 inches to spare. Assuming it's not long enough, I'll have to run the cable somewhere else, not sure yet. However, the front camera is pretty low profile and I have it mounted on the passenger side of the rearview mirror. I can post a picture if you want, but yeah, it's a pretty decent camera.

I am using a Garmin Mini. It’s hardwired into the fuse panel with the parking sensor, which I really don’t need much anymore because my rig spends most of the time in my garage now.
A7F53F07-2F1A-4736-A47E-E0BD04389B78.jpeg
9D117972-8E9D-42CB-87E3-088364E11D71.jpeg

Yeah I have the Garmin mini and use that dongle to plug into the back of the mirror. Works great and don’t even notice it.

I use the Garmin Mini, they now have the Mini 2 out! Ive used it a few times when ive hit a deer and then when a wacko lady almost ran me off the road trying to merge :p Easily one of the best low-profile dash cams out there. Plus it doesnt break the bank, even if you had 2 (one for the rear facing the bed rack).

Back