• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Crawl control for downhills?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
I was watching a YouTube video about “how to use crawl controls…..they film a 4- Runner going down a steep bumpy hill….WOW! I was impressed how crawl control was able to keep the 4-Runner in complete control on it’s descent….
I live on a hill side, Coffee farm with a dirt, rocky roads…so I try my crawl control….on my way down…. It perform very well ..

I never knew this crawl control. Could be use for going down hills….giving you complete control of the rate of descent…and kept the the truck from speeding up…while going down hill….

I use apply a lot of braking…besides being in 4-low and using 1st & 2nd gears… so for those really steep places? Consider using the crawl controls…!
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically you’re right. But 4-lo and 1st gear is so low in my truck (5.29s), that I don’t know if using crawl control would ever be necessary.

I recently drove down a very narrow switchback trail in a rainstorm. The trail was in terrible shape and basically flash flooding/falling apart under my tires. The grade was steep; 11%* maybe? My truck is very heavy and death was only a couple feet to my left. 5-7 mph max, even on the straight parts. Puckering experience for sure.

But still, 4-lo and 1st was still almost too low except for the switchback (u-turn) parts. I felt fine in 2nd and hardly needed to use the brakes to stay at my comfortable 5 mph.

Not sure how much the 5.29s contributed to that. Maybe stock would’ve been much sketchier.

*11% is a guess. It was the type of steep where your body wants to slide closer to the steering wheel, lol.

Last edited:
11% is 1.1 foot drop per every 10 feet. Sounds like you were more in the 30% range. Glad you made it.

I tried CC a few times for fun, not when I really needed it. It seems like a neat feature but I suspect I'll only use it when I'm stuck since it simulates front and rear lockers, if I remember right. The steep descents you folks have mentioned sound like good applications.

11% is 1.1 foot drop per every 10 feet. Sounds like you were more in the 30% range. Glad you made it.
Total guess - figured I was probably way off. But yeah, I was in the "bad idea in this weather" range for sure, lol.

Back