Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
wow thats actually kind of crazy. im glad you got everything back, and hey! new engine with 0 miles! :):love:

Joisey

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#2,457
I hope this is the last problem you have with your truck. I'm at a loss as to how a misfire can cause a valve(s) to hit the piston.

Tacoma TRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,447
The valves hitting the pistons caused the misfire. Something with the VVT or VVD failed causing the valve to remain open as the piston came up to TDC. There are many variables which could have caused this to happen

Joisey

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#2,457
That's what I thought, but it read as the misfire caused the valve to hit the piston. I'll bet some sensor or sensors on the cam or cams didn't do their jobs and caused all the fun.

Tacoma TRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,447
Never seen a misfire cause a valve to bend.

TheNotty84

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Im just as baffled as all of you. I've n ever had this happen to any vehicle I have ever driven. But I just rolled 8000 miles (about 3600 on the new engine) and so far so good. No issues at all!

Tacoma TRD

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,447
That’s the absolute best we can hope for. Wishing you many happy, trouble free, dependable miles !!

Betolp

✓ • Lurker
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,189
So, Friday, I was just driving to pick my wife is from work and my truck literally crapped out on me... Just died in the middle of the road while driving 35mph. It stuttered real bad and then just died.
The HUD display came up all red and said Transmission oil temperature high! I had to tow the truck to the dealership because it wouldn't even start back up.
Yesterday afternoon and the dealership called me after initially looking at the truck and told me those three harrowing words, "complete engine failure".
The service writer, as well as myself, was baffled and flabbergasted to see this, as this truck is literally 2 months old with only 3500 miles on it.
Well, because of the holiday weekend, they are getting someone to come out on Tuesday to inspect the cause of the problem. I'm just hoping that I don't have to get a whole new truck because I've already done a lot to this one and there's a few things I can't just transfer over to new one.

Anyways... That's how I'm spending my Labor Day Weekend. Hope everyone else is having a better one than me.

I'll keep you posted on the findings.

P.S.: have an extra drink for me and pray for the best. *Fingers crossed*
I can relate to what just happened to you. My 2021 Toyota 4x4 v6. Just had the same diagnosis. I was driving to work and press on the gas when I just heard a noise from the engine. I had heard it before. Didn’t think much of. But press more gas and then the truck just went from 30 mph to none. I heard a lot of knocking coming out of the engine and that was that. The diagnosis complete engine failure. Only had or has 18,000 miles. Hard to believe and except.

XxMagpulxX

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,041
Im not familiar how these engines exactly work however, its hard for me to understand how a misfire made a valve come in contact with the piston unless it broke something in the valve train. In that case, that had to have been a hell of a misfire. Glad they took care of you though.

Last edited:

DerbyGirl28

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#4,562
So, Friday, I was just driving to pick my wife is from work and my truck literally crapped out on me... Just died in the middle of the road while driving 35mph. It stuttered real bad and then just died.
The HUD display came up all red and said Transmission oil temperature high! I had to tow the truck to the dealership because it wouldn't even start back up.
Yesterday afternoon and the dealership called me after initially looking at the truck and told me those three harrowing words, "complete engine failure".
The service writer, as well as myself, was baffled and flabbergasted to see this, as this truck is literally 2 months old with only 3500 miles on it.
Well, because of the holiday weekend, they are getting someone to come out on Tuesday to inspect the cause of the problem. I'm just hoping that I don't have to get a whole new truck because I've already done a lot to this one and there's a few things I can't just transfer over to new one.

Anyways... That's how I'm spending my Labor Day Weekend. Hope everyone else is having a better one than me.

I'll keep you posted on the findings.

P.S.: have an extra drink for me and pray for the best. *Fingers crossed*
Same problem, the times i had engine failure. Hired a lemon law attorney and Toyota bought her back 🤬

yotatuner

✓ • Silver
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Victor
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,989
Wow ! Thanks for sharing your story. So glad they took care of you.

Ductaco13

✓ • Lurker
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,225
It seems to me that because it's an Atkins motor there maybe different motions goin on that would allow the piston to come in contact with the valve. Sensor problem I suppose but how? It should be all mechanical...right?