• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Colo.taco’s 2018 TRD OR DCSB 4X4 build

Colo.taco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey everyone been watching these forums for a while and decided that it was finally time I posted a build thread of my 2018 Tacoma. I bought my Tacoma on April 12, 2018 with the intention to get out and explore the beautiful country we live in. Most all of the modifications I have put on and plan to put on have been selected with function fallowed by form (why can’t it look as good as it performers. Over the first year and a half I collected most of the parts I was planning on putting on the truck when I could get a deal on them, but this meant that I had parts that couldn’t go on the truck right away and ended up sitting in my garage for over a year.

When the COVID19 stuff hit March and my company put us on leave for 4 weeks I decided it was finally time to get around to installing everything I had sitting around. With the help of a coworker I trusted to help me, we installed the Icon suspension. I had IMO the best shop in Denver mount the tires and do the BMC and mount the tires and wheels for me. This is only the start of the build and there many more things in the works.

If you like the rig you can follow my Instagram @Colo.taco

Here are some pictures from when I got it to where it is today
:
4E927C07-0CB3-40ED-A319-850290F64E6E.jpeg
162F0BD1-519D-4155-9C6D-47F72F0B9281.jpeg

0173D4CF-EAE2-4ACD-BCB3-C464EEFD9E9F.jpeg

B5BDE476-18D8-4BEB-8130-210F29D567E0.jpeg

A21DDDA2-A1E1-42C7-8E94-EA8956889A9C.jpeg

Truck:
2018 TRD OR DCSB 4x4

Suspension: 16-UP 0-2.75" STAGE 6 SUSPENSION SYSTEM W BILLET UCA (ICON STAGE 6 TACOMA)

ICON 05-UP TACOMA EXT TRAVEL 2.5 VS RR CDCV COILOVER (58735C)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA BILLET UCA WITH DELTA JOINT (58550DJ)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA 0-1.5" REAR 2.5 VS RR CDCV PAIR (57805CP)
ICON 96-UP TACOMA/00-06 TUNDRA 1.5" ADD-A-LEAF KIT (51100)

Wheels and Tires:
Rotiform SIX-OR matte black
BFG KM3 in 285/70 R17

Armor:
  • C4Fab TACOMA FRONT LO-PRO WINCH BUMPER (C4 Lo-Pro Bumper)
  • C4Fab TACOMA ROCK SLIDERS (C4 Rock Sliders)

Lighting:
  • Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog Lights (Driving/Combo) Amber
  • Rigid D-SS-Series Ditch Lights on CBI 3rd Gen Tacoma Ditch Light Brackets
  • Baja Designs 20" S8 (Driving/Combo) Amber - Lo-Pro Bumper
  • Switchpros SP-9100 mounted with PowerTrays under hood and SDHQ Dash Panel
Recovery:
  • Smittybilt X20 10K with Synthetic Rope
  • Factor55 Fairlead
  • Factor55 Prolink
  • Gator Jaw Synthetic Soft Shackles (2)
Misc:

Future Mods:
UpTOP Overland Roof Rack
UpTOP Overland Bed Rack
Onboard Air
and a lot more!

It’s a work in progress and there’s a lot more I want to do. Lots more to come and thanks for following along.

How do you like the icon suspension? I’m eyeing that one myself for mine. How is the ride on road? Is it as good off-road as the demo videos suggest? Steering feel firm up a bit or stay the same? What specific leaf set up did you do in the rear?

Man I’m super happy with it it handles better then I expected. I keep the tent on so I have extra weight in the back all the time and it feels great on the road I did feel like it was a bit stiff when I first put it on but it’s really gotten nice in the last few times off-road. I just have the add a leaf in the back. It’s been great for me so far but I don’t have a rear bumper and swing outs that would add a lot of weight. I’d I get a rear bumper I’ll prolly get the full Icon leaf pack.

Nice. Yeah, my icon suspension in my previous Jeep JL was really stiff for a couple hundred miles, but settled really nicely after a little trail riding and flexing.

Good to hear.

Back