• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CMC vs. Cab Mount Relocation

GrumpyTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I was wondering if the CMC is necessary if you go ahead and do the cab mount relocation on the frame instead. Does it give you enough clearance, as the CMC?

Attachments

• AD67B0FE-EDF3-4267-AD6B-67845E043490.png
    AD67B0FE-EDF3-4267-AD6B-67845E043490.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 369
I was wondering if the CMC is necessary if you go ahead and do the cab mount relocation on the frame instead. Does it give you enough clearance, as the CMC?
gives you more than the CMC! i want to do it currently on my truck.

I was under the impression this is still a CMC, but it’s an even bigger one, this the need to relocate the mount. Is that not how it works?

I was under the impression this is still a CMC, but it’s an even bigger one, this the need to relocate the mount. Is that not how it works?
i mean yes youre chopping the cab mount, but completely chopping it off and welding a new mount on which pushes the attaching point back farther.

i mean yes youre chopping the cab mount, but completely chopping it off and welding a new mount on which pushes the attaching point back farther.
That’s what I thought. But by the way @GrumpyTaco is wording his posts, I’m not sure he realizes.

A good idea for the relocation of you want 35s. Makes it that much easier

A good idea for the relocation of you want 35s. Makes it that much easier
Yea ill be doing to relocate before May. I rub on my cab mount after CMC with 35's

Just to make sure you realize: This kit isn't a simple bolt on item. It is more like one step beyond a regular CMC. You'll still CMC with this, but you'll be making the CMC even better, gaining more room.

Just to make sure you realize: This kit isn't a simple bolt on item. It is more like one step beyond a regular CMC. You'll still CMC with this, but you'll be making the CMC even better, gaining more room.

Well you completely remove the factor cab mount on the frame side and weld a new mount onto the frame

Yea I’ve watched videos on it. So yea I mean either way it’s cut and welding, so it just depends on how I wanna go. Lucky for me I work at a dealership and I can weld. Just trying to accumulate all the parts and money for parts so I can start sculpting the truck into what I want

I’m trying to gather as much knowledge on all the issues people run into and build my Taco once and hopefully not run into any problems

Yea I’ve watched videos on it. So yea I mean either way it’s cut and welding, so it just depends on how I wanna go. Lucky for me I work at a dealership and I can weld. Just trying to accumulate all the parts and money for parts so I can start sculpting the truck into what I want
What size tires do you want?

I’d like to run 35s and I’m ready to chop what needs to be chopped to do that. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the lift picked out except for rear leafs and I’m undecided if I wanna just stick with a mid travel kit or just get it done in one shot with a long travel set up,

I’d like to run 35s and I’m ready to chop what needs to be chopped to do that. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the lift picked out except for rear leafs and I’m undecided if I wanna just stick with a mid travel kit or just get it done in one shot with a long travel set up,
my personal opinion is LT isnt really worth it. but thats just my opinion.

Yea for the terrain I would have acces to in New Jersey, it wouldn’t be worth it for me. I’m leaning towards mid travel with Kings front and rear but don’t know what leaf spring to go with in the rear.

Malcolm and I both have 35s with a regular CMC (cut next to cab mount - no relocation) and don't have rubbing problems anymore.

Yea I’m in the air about which to do. But I’ve got access to a shop and my shop welder so I figured I’d do the basic CMC no relocate and if I somehow manage to rub then I’d just relocate

I come from the square body Chevy world of solid axles leafs front and back and body lift. Which is way simpler then the Tacoma world I’m jumping Into

I love my K5 but it’s been a long4 year process of frame swapping and body work due to lack of funds and motivation

Attachments

• 73DB81D5-638A-460B-92D9-9875F38F7353.jpeg
    73DB81D5-638A-460B-92D9-9875F38F7353.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 102
I can only assume that huge @$$ factory cab mount has something to do with keeping the tire out of the driver footwell in a crash? Just something to think about with a complete relocation like this. (y)
The nice this about the relocation is that the back end is pretty much the same location, all its doing is angling the front farther back and more slimeline to allow for more room on the backend of the tire.

The nice this about the relocation is that the back end is pretty much the same location, all its doing is angling the front farther back and more slimeline to allow for more room on the backend of the tire.
I’m with Victory, the concept is appealing, but needs to be a bit more stout imho. You want to make sure if that tire gets separated from suspension and pushed into footwell that the cab mount is going to very much stop it. I’m not sure I trust an open bottom mount, especially in 3/16.
I think boxed, thicker, and less angle on forward face would help a lot with that without sacrificing any usable/practical clearance.

Back